Steering Problem - Possible Balancing?

Hi All

I am having a few problems with my car when I get onto the motorway and hit about 60mph. The car does not seem to want to go in a straight line and it feels like I am constantly fighting with the steering wheel to stay in a straight line.

This problem only seems to have developed since I had new tyres put on, but I just thought it was new... Now I have started to do abit more motorway driving again I have started to notice it and its a pain, especially with increased winds etc, feels like the car wants to drive itself!

The car is a 98 Ford Escort and has just passed the MOT. I have had the reacking checked and the only thing I can think of is the wheel balancing...?

Any ideas, would be good.

Thanks. Karl

Reply to
KP

Sorry, that was meant to read "Ive had the tracking checked"

Reply to
KP

Have you checked the tyre pressures? Jon

Reply to
Jon

Yeah, sorry I forgot to mention that. That was one of the first things I did.

Karl

Reply to
KP

I doubt it is balancing, that usually shows up as vibration not a tendency for the car to steer itself.

Does it tend to steer to one side or does it wander off line both left and right?

Dave

Reply to
Dave W

Basically on both sides... The car feels fine if im turning off centre, so on a bend etc.

There seems to be slight vibration in the steering wheel, but nothing major.

Its a very hard thing to explain, I had my Dad have a drive and he said it wasnt right, just didnt know what it was.

Karl

Reply to
KP

If it's wandering then the suspension bushes need replacing. Escorts are a bugger for needing new bushes. Theya re just crappy pieces of plastic that cost a few quid but will cost a bomb to get fitted. About 60 a set IIRC. Make sure they re-do the tracking after they have been fitted!!

HTH,

Robert

Reply to
Robert R News

I had the wishbone on the drivers side replaced for the MOT.

This may sound like a silly kind of question, but the car's front suspension creeks all the time, so you go along a normal kind of road with a few bumps in and then all you can hear is the front suspension creeking... The reason I say about that, I seem to remember someone saying that the bushes are usually wearing when this happens?!?!

I assume replacing the bushes aint really a job you can do on your own then?

Karl

Reply to
KP

Yes, as I said in my previous post on this thread, it is probably work suspension bushes that are causing the steering wander problem.

I think you can, but you will need some method of raising the car off the ground (both the front wheels at least). I'd take it to a decent garage to be honest.

Reply to
Robert R News

Thanks for the advice Robert. Ill get it check out ASAP.

Thanks again.

Karl

Reply to
KP

In message , KP writes

Split wishbone bushes cause the creaking but you said that you had one wishbone replaced already?

You need a press to change the bushes but if you buy a complete wishbone assy it will have new bushes in it and will be easier to change. It should only cost about £30 from a motor factor or around double that from Ford.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Yeah, the drivers side wishbone was replaced for the MOT. Problem being that it still seems to creek on both sides...

Reply to
KP

Out-of-balance wheels can cause the wheel to bounce up and down on rthe road, thus not gripping properly - the wheel almost "floats" and can cause the car to wander about a bit. But I would have thought you woudhave felt the vibration...

Reply to
R. Murphy