Exhaust pipe jointing

Hi,

Has anyone used one of these things to join two lengths of exhaust pipe together?

I really can't think of a better way of doing it, assuming these things are strong enough and gas-tight, but am happy to hear suggestions if that's not the case.

Reply to
Chris

One issue is going to be how much external (or internal) corrosion there is on the pipes, whether they are significantly distorted, or how accurate the shape and dimensions are.

In principle it should work. U bolts are often used to couple exhaust sections because of the higher pressure that they generate than this type of clamp (which means that distorted pipes deform to fit better).

Also where is it in the system? There is a bit more gas pressure at the hot end, I suspect. I'd probably use a bit of sealant, especially at the hot end.

Reply to
newshound

they can help out in some cases, but so can a baked bean can and two exhaust clamps :)

Reply to
MrCheerful

I don't think there is an issue here with distortion or rust, but I can't be 100% certain at this stage.

It is right in the middle of the system, in the long straight section between the front and back silencer boxes.

Er, yes. Been there, done that back in the good ol' 70s. But hoping for something more permanent and effective this time around. :)

Reply to
Chris

Echoes of the bit in Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance where Pirsig wants to shim his mate's slipping BMW throttle with an aluminium coca cola can, which the mate considers to be an insult to his Teutonic steed.

Reply to
newshound

Can't say I remember that bit, but it was a *long* time ago since I read it. Wasn't it just Pirsig and his son on the one bike? Great read, anyway. I actually cut out and kept the pages of troubleshooting tips but god knows what became of that!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I read it simply because the bike in question was one that I owned back then: a CB77 (I had to downgrade my one to 250cc because of my learner licence, next day after my test it went back to 305cc.)

Reply to
MrCheerful

If it is as you describe then just buy a bit of the appropriate size pipe and two clamps, preferably weld the sleeve on one pipe or both.

Reply to
MrCheerful