Crusie Control Option?

Hello people,

I was wondering if anybody could tell me how easy/hard it is to fit cruise control to a Escort. Its a 1994 1.4i CHV (Carb type)

Cheers Si

Reply to
Simon Green

Well, you can get kits to add CC but I don't suppose they're cheap. For a 94 Escort the whole exercise smacks a bit of gilding a chocolate teapot.

Reply to
Scott M

Depends on your competency. It'd be cheaper to buy a car with it fitted though.

Reply to
Conor

LOL

Reply to
Funkyman

Is that CVH or OHV?

I remember someone mentioned a while back that there's some sort of hand-throttle type system that's not overly difficult to retrofit, and whilst it's not a proper cruise control system, it'd be a *lot* simpler to fit, and will do the job fine 90% of the time, and still give your right foot a lot of rest whilst cruising.

Out of interest, how many miles to the gallon do you get in general driving, and how much of your driving is done on motorways (in percentage terms)??

I ask as those 1400CVH engines are well known to be s**te on fuel economy, and something like a Carlton 2.0CDX Saloon would probably return similar to a fair bit better fuel economy than your Escort, and at the very worst a few mpg less around town (unless you spend *lots* of time in heavy traffic on a regular basis).

You'll be looking at between £500 and £1000 for a good one, and avoid the auto - they're excellent bulletproof boxes, but mated to the 2 litre engine does make a rather sluggish car.

Provided the oil's been changed regularly, the engines will go on to 200k++ with no major problems.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Definitely worth doing aircon at the same time, it's an investment...

Reply to
Steve Walker

to fit cruise

Not very difficult if you're thinking of an aftermarket kit. Allow a day for the job, but it doesn't need to be done in one go. The most difficult part I found on the one I fitted, was making a good setup for the throttle operation. A bracket for the actuator linking it to the carb butterfly etc. A switch on the clutch will also need to be fitted. The one for the brake can use the existing brake light switch. Fitting the speed sensor might be a bit fiddly. On mine it was on the propshaft. As for the rest, in car control stalk, and the ECU. No more difficult than fitting a decent ICE system. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G