ECU Training

Hi all,

I own a Astra 1.7TD 1997 vintage. When I bought the car the battery was duff, we got it started and I got it home. I've had the battery replaced and it seems that the ECU relearns the driver settings. The car is an ex rep mobile, so I guess it's used to being loaded with stuff.

Now I did the relearn on my trip to work - 5.5 miles in city traffic - speed never gets over 35MPH.

The car now seems a little flat - I'm sure it hit the hills better when I first got it than it does now.

What it the best way to train an ECU? Take it straight out on to the motorway or city driving with the car loaded with everything including the kitchen sink?

How many miles should I do before I can be safe that the ECU has learnt how I drive?

Cheers

Astraman

Reply to
Astraman

A 1997 1.7TD Astra does not have an ECU for the injection system!

HTH

Anthony

Reply to
Anthony Britt

I don't think a diesel of that vintage has much ECU control. Even if it does, the ECU probably only controls EGR (if fitted) and idle speed. On my old 96 Escort, the ECU did nothing except control the EGR. Everything else was mechanically controlled.

On ECU controlled petrol vauxhalls though, I've noticed it takes about a week for optimum performance and idling/decelleration characteristics to be reached when changing fuels or disconnecting the battery. For me this is

200-300 miles.

The Dervboy

Reply to
DervBoy