Curing condensation

You will probably find the carpets are wet. You have a leak that needs fixing.

Reply to
harry

This was your mistake. Leave it on fresh all the time.

You probably have a rain leak in the car. There's a lot of rain about ATM.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Why are you getting rid of it? It's not worth a lot, and it keeps going...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Indeed.

There is less moisture 'hot' or 'cold' aircon air than in non-aircon air. There is the same amount in 'hot' and 'cold' aircon air. So as I said, there is no more moisture in 'hot' than 'cold' aircon air.

Indeed.

Not at all. I think you might be, though. What exactly makes you think I am confused?

Reply to
David Taylor

My money would be with news. I used to leave a dehumidifier running overnight inside a CX estate, and in the end took out the front carpets and the moulded foam underlay (up to two inches thick in places and saturated). Too difficult to sort out the leak(s), given the age of the car.

Reply to
newshound

Our old Astra has / had a leak as you could tell by the puddle in the rear foot well.

We left a domestic thermostatic fan heater in the boot with the rear seats down and aircon in it for the best part of a day and the tank was half full.

I think it still needs another go (or there is still a small leak, carpets are still dry) as leaving the car parked in the sun and then getting to it just after sunset and the (North facing) windscreen was actually 'wet' (like it had been raining inside) whilst the side and rear windows were just heavily condensated.

The leak-free Meriva is also showing similar signs (but only condensation) first thing in the morning and dusk so I think it must be also to do with the time of year and general humidity (and no long trips, no aircon on etc).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I have similar condensation problem,except that the car,a Zafira, is garaged in a wooden 20 by 10 foot garage. have fitted ten ! ventilators On walls and doors but didn`t make slightest bit of difference! There are no water leaks in the car.It costs too much to keep a heater or dehumidifier running 24/7 ! Have also tried the crystal dehum. kits as used for caravans etc. No difference ! I have seen a pool of water lying in battery tray just from condensation! The real worry is this condensation is causing rust to form on suspension parts, the paintwork is fine,no rust etc. I get this problem irrespective of summer or winter time of year. Thinking of fitting a fan in end wall of garage to blow air over the car,wonder if anyone has any advice on this problem?

Doug.

Reply to
doug

Sounds like the garage is very damp. What's the floor made of? Is the roof sound? Do drains / soakaways work?

I rent a council garage. It drips condensation water off the asbestos roof - can see the splashes in the dust. But unlike others in the row it doesn't actually leak and pool water on the floor.

Reply to
Peter Hill

HI Peter,the garage floor is concrete slabs,roof and guttering ok. Think I will fit a low power fan which doesn`t use much electricity to blow a very slight `breeze` over the car! You never know,`that` might work!

Doug.

Reply to
doug

Concrete slabs without a damp proof membrane will be damp.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Well, I recall when garage was built many years ago,there was some kind of plastic sheeting laid over foundations. Maybe that needs renewed. I believe de-humidifiers with built-in humidity sensors are now available,so something else to think about! Doug.

Reply to
doug

It doesn't have to be a leak. Getting into the car with damp clothing because its been raining or carrying hot take-away food will put a lot of moisture inside of the cabin.

Reply to
alan