Dead radio?

Hi

My radio died, for no reason that I can see. I pulled it out of the dash using the two key things and when I put it back in, it had died!

I didn't hear any bangs, or short circuits, or anything at all, but now it just won't work. The radio works in another car, so it's OK, but what is wrong with my car that prevents it from working??

Thanks!

Reply to
Krycek

A few possibilities immediately spring to mind. You may have shorted something out whilst removing/inserting the radio causing a fuse to blow. Or when you put it back in you bent a pin in a connector and now it won't make contact, or the connector has become misaligned somehow.

Reply to
malc

Sounds like you might have blown a fuse when you pulled the old radio out.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

The replies you have with respect to connectors etc, makes sense. I assume the radio was working berfore you removed it? The only sure way, is a proper diagnostic procedure, IE using a multimeter, check if the supply and earth are present. This may require the ignition to be on as some switching may be used. As someone sugested, you may have trapped a wire and blown a fuse, but this will show up with voltage checks. I would not suspect the radio itself, but should that prove to have an intermittent fault, then a bench supply, and radio servicing procedures would be required.

hope this helps

Rod (Radio & TV engineer)

Reply to
Pat Crouch

One last time. When you write a reply to somebody on a newsgroup, it is customary to write your reply below the message you're replying to. It is acceptable to break up the text into individual points and reply to each in turn. The idea is everybody sticks to this and then if you reply to a post at the bottom, other replies, which will almost always be at the bottom, will make sense.

Reply to
Doki

On the other hand I could reply like this. Which makes it unclear who I was replying to.

Reply to
Doki

Or like this, which will be scrolled past by most people, who'll be looking for a reply at the bottom, and assume I've made a blank post.

Reply to
Doki

No cos the arrows make it obvious & you don't have to scroll to read it.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Top posting scum.

Reply to
PCPaul

Eh? Read what?

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

/snip/

The bit straight in front of your eyes. At the top.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

It wasn't straight in front of my eyes - I was looking at the bottom.

Obviously.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

That's off the bottom of my screen.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Pat Crouch, managed to produce the following words of wisdom

Pat is heading straight for my iggy bin, which is a shame because whilst he's tried to help he refuses to follow posting convention and frankly it's irritating as f*ck.

Top posting and wondering why people complain is very similar to wiring a plug with the live and earth reversed. Might work sometimes but most of the time it'll blow more than a fuse...

UKRMs FFAQ explains it with almost perfect clarity in the CBT. While this isn't UKRM it shares some essential characteristics.

Pete M

Or kill you. Which is fundamentally different to top posting, which irritates some & supplies an excuse to others to whinge.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Whereas the top is off the top of my screen.

And?

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Ooh, how do you get the reader to open things from the bottom?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

It doesn't - I scroll down to where I expect the posting to be.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

There, you see I find that at least as tedious.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Wouldn't it be a good idea if there was some kind of convention about where to post?

Reply to
Ian Dalziel