Diesels

Like I said above, I can't understand why anyone would buy an SDI, cheaper though it is. In the real world, it's not going to give you much extra economy over the TDI, and performance is awful. I don't know why they even bothered making it.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Poverty spec fleet special for chewing gum reps.

Reply to
SteveH

I've recently acquired a Ford focus estate first registered in yr 02, but guess what, for some strange reason it's only fitted with a cassette/radio.. perhaps the previous owner swapped it over? as I can't believe that a vehicle that young wouldn't be fitted with CD/radio.

However as a temporary expedient I purchased a cassette adaptor complete with MP3 holder in Currys for the princely sum of £1.97 and have to say that I was very pleased with the performance, which was far better than I had anticipated.

As you say it's odd the number of new car radios now being sold without a few 'extra pence' worth of 3.5 mm jack auxiliary input, especially as the manufacturers must know that MP3 players are now the norm.. even the ancient cheap Audioline cassette radio in my Astra had one fitted as standard fare.

Reply to
Ivan

Gallardo. Murcielago. Leon. Golf GTi, new TT. Veyron. Phaeton.

You were saying?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

The message from "Tim S Kemp" contains these words:

Am I the only one who reads that as Mucilage?

Reply to
Guy King

How on earth can a 450hp V10 be boring in a car..I simply do not understand? Have you tried one..did you fall asleep at the wheel due to the tedium?

I'm afraid I need more persuasion than that..Audis with Quattro (by all accounts I've seen) corner fast and hard as if on rails. When they let go it's a neutral slide. My experience of cars that can be cornered fast is that of passengers being sick with terror - not saying 'come on this is boring'.

Straight line speed and quickness *are* considered by many interesting

- indeed there's even a motor sport dedicated to it. Is Drag Racing just for the immature?

I think there's a few people out there that would take issue with the 'no skill' required to drive boring cars - all road cars need driven with skill. If additional special skills are required just to get them round corners then that could just as well be because they've got rubbish handling (think early Vectras etc) not because they're 'interesting'. It's a scary thought that someone unskilled might drive an S8.

Reply to
Zathras

Zathras ( snipped-for-privacy@nospamthanks.hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

There is no easy relationship between power (or lack thereof) and "boringness".

Reply to
Adrian

Tim S Kemp ( snipped-for-privacy@timkemp.karoo.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Conti GT...

Really? But it's a ton heavier than the A8. I'd have thought that'd make it handle like a cow. Or is the A8 just utterly sublime?

Reply to
Adrian

But my theory is 0-60 in 3s = high probability of excitement. 0-60 in

33s = low probability of excitement. I appreciate that 450hp in a ship might equate more to the latter but I'm talking about cars.
Reply to
Zathras

Zathras ( snipped-for-privacy@nospamthanks.hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Sorry, but you're just plain WRONG.

Low-powered cars can be a complete hoot to drive, _because_ they're so damn slow. You can hammer 'em and lob 'em FAR nearer the limit FAR more of the time.

High-powered cars are just plain tedious for 90%+ of the time, because they're so completely wasted.

Reply to
Adrian

The message from Adrian contains these words:

850 Mini, anyone?
Reply to
Guy King

No.

Reply to
PC Paul

Incorrect..that's just *your opinion* and I'm quite entitled to mine.

If a car's not on the limit it's boring then? Have you ever been in a supercar?

Couldn't agree less. I've never found a moment in a Porsche 911, Lotus or Ferrari that was boring. Nevertheless, if you were to tell me that a 2CV is less boring than, say, a Ferrari 599 GTB then I think you're beyond help.

Reply to
Zathras

LOL!

Reply to
Zathras

The message from "PC Paul" contains these words:

Vegetable or bacterial?

Reply to
Guy King

Zathras ( snipped-for-privacy@nospamthanks.hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

If you can't use more than a fraction of it's capability, then - yes - it is.

Oooh, lemme think - does 190mph in a genuine GT40 round MIRA then a blast round the lanes count? Yes, it was very fast. No, it was not in the slightest bit *fun* in an real-world-usable kinda way.

You wouldn't be the first...

Reply to
Adrian

I've had reason to spend a bit of time driving an Audi A2 TDI over the last couple of years. I find that it's very grippy, quiet, quite light, very torquey and has great brakes.

It's not a sub 5sec 0-60 car of course, but all the things that would normally make a car exciting to drive for me are added together in this package and equal something which is peaky, uncomfortable, overelectronicsised, overassisted, has a stupidly tiny fuel tank and is ultimately very boring indeed.

To relieve the tedium, every few hundred miles they even made it say "beep" very loudly when the fuel light comes on, as if a big orange light isn't enough any more, which wakes me up enough to utter some expetives. I guess it's great for people who don't enjoy driving (for the same reasons as I do anyway).

Heh, I've never made a passenger sick but I've had far more entertainment at reasonably low speed out of some low-powered unlikely candidates than the few cars I've driven which are "fast" and "corner on rails". I've never tried a Quattro though.

Heh, Drag racing is boring too. The entertainment is in the fireball and wreckage scatter when there's a crash. (c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Sights sounds and smells wise, I guess a supercar would be pretty cool, but being honest with myself, I don't think I could really handle it. If I bought it to look at, listen to and sniff, I'd feel it was a waste.

Never been in either, but as an everyday ownership experience, I'd find a 2CV better on the speedbumps, I'd find myself going slower whilst still testing the car's capabilities and far less likely to get myself done for speeding in.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Douglas Payne ( snipped-for-privacy@cheerful.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

and your own. ANY muppet can drive something seriously quick at fast-road speeds. It takes skill to keep momentum up and do decent cross-country journey times in something slow.

Sure, it's not a barrel of laughs sitting on the motorway with the wagons. But who ever used a motorway for driving enjoyment?

Fuck.

Reply to
Adrian

1.0 metro was pretty fun too.