Double push window switches.

Which cars other than BMW use these - gentle push for intermittent or firm push for all the way? I've got so used to this on my BMW I'm going to fit a similar system to my other car. The electronics ain't a problem, but the design (size) and cost of the switches are so I'd like to look at as many types as possible.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

VAG, Fiat / Alfa, erm.... just about everyone these days.

Reply to
SteveH

Both my toyota and my merc too. Vauxhall used to be tap for auto and hold for manual - no two-stage switches in them.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Right. On all models or just the upper ones?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My old B5 Passat had them all-round. That was an SE spec, my mate's MkIV Golf GTI has them on the front windows, my new B6 Passat has them.

Thinking about it - the Fiat / Alfa switches are on a logic circuit - short push for all the way up / down and push & hold for intermittent.

Reply to
SteveH

This is the idea I used some time ago - although of course home designed. But it's not 100% reliable. Probably poor design. ;-)

I'm going to refurbish the woodwork where the switches are, so now's the time to change the switches if I have to.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk, Dave Plowman (News) wittered on forthwith;

Citroens, a la BX, used to have a drivers window switch that was two switches in on. Outer part would do the one touch bit, and the inner was the "normal" switch. Would probably fit the SD1 as well, or be close anyway. Tacky enough to be genuine BL.

Alternatively, late Range Rover Vogue SE "Classic" have one touch on the drivers door which just appears to be a relay with a timer. Works well though, tap the switch when the window is at the top and it does the one touch malarky, otherwise it works normally.

Reply to
Pete M

My 2000 Saab 9-3 has this design, you can feel the second click for the "one shot down" operation.

My 1999 Honda Accord had a brief tap for one shot down design, hold for "full" control. It didn't work anywhere near as well as I'd have liked...

Reply to
DervMan

Try getting a switch set from a Rover 75, it's the same set as in a BMW 3 but in an oval housing and IIRC a chrome surround - very nice looking and operates in the detented push you want.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

That's how our 2000 Lupo and 1999 A3 work.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

My 7th Gen Civic has a 2 stage one. press to the first notch for intermittent, press harder to the second notch for auto

Reply to
Neil Postance

"Pete M" wrote in message news:1gUHg.63478$ snipped-for-privacy@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

The BX had a relay? box in the door I got one out of a scrappy and fitted it and the switch to my BX, just pluged in. one of my xantias (96) if you touch it lightly it goes up all the way , put a pencil in the way and it will try and break it! The other xantia (98) mk2 light touch and it goes up to command, long press and it will go up and down the whole way. if you put a pencil in the way it stops and drops an inch or so.

Both fairly basic versions

Des Des

Reply to
Dieseldes

Nissans,Toyotas,Skodas, etc etc have them - sometime only for the drivers window.

BMW make no bits for their cars - just buy them in from suppliers

Reply to
Tom

Don't be silly. But if you mean electrical components then that's the case for most makers. Doesn't stop them having them specially designed, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , Dave Plowman (News) writes

Hyundai Getz has this feature, driver's door only though. Two stage switch, press down to second detent for auto.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Mope, tis true. I used to work for the company that made the camshafts.

Reply to
Paul Cummins

Thanks guys. Now if only there was a website with pictures of all these switches so I could pick the one I like the look of most... Of course it would also be the most expensive.

Anyone seen 'aftermarket' types on sale?

Vehicle Wiring Products etc don't list one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)