Electric Vehicles

Why aren't cars like this available here? I know the government depends on fuel tax to balance the books, but surely someone could start importing them.

75 mhp top speed, 0-60 in 14 seconds and a 120 mile drive on a £1.50 charge may not suit every journey, but I for one would be willing to set up the cables in my garage. Perfect during the week for commuting to work, and then a car swap with a friend for longer journeys.

DP

Cos they're very expensive.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

A subsidised £250 per month, or another site quoted US$600 per month for three years, isn't that bad. Leasing over 3 years could be £250 per month for a Mini Cooper.

Electric Vehicles aren't too expensive for it to be worthwhile to import a few.

Reply to
DP

It's difficult to see how you're going to get the subsidy on an import though.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Coventry University use electric Peugeot Partner (IIRC) vans - I believe it is part of a testing programme with the PSA plant(s) in and around Coventry. Peugeot might be interested in selling/leasing a few

Jon

Reply to
MVT

I don't believe their claim that their battery pack will last the equivalent of 100,000 miles or about 1000 re-charges in practice. And the real replacement cost would be horrendous.

Don't think they've mentioned either that the range would be severely reduced in cold weather - perhaps to zero. ;-)

The cost of the fuel is totally unrealistic due to the tax position - charging a battery with electricity made from fossil fuels is a very inefficient way of using those fossil fuels for transport. If it became a common method of transport the government would find a way of taxing it to the same extent as petrol.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

They'll just tax electricity even more then.

That sort of performance (and lack of emissions) does suit city driving more than motorway or rural. But the downside is that most people in cities don't actaully have garages where they could recharge the cars, as they have to street park.

There's also the other arguement that it just shifts the pollution from the exhuaust pipe to the power station. The hybrid cars seem to be a good compromise, by essentially moving the power station into car.

Reply to
Davemar

The message from dave snipped-for-privacy@mailandnews.com (Davemar) contains these words:

I'd have said it was perfectly adequate for rural conditions.

Reply to
Guy King

Yep. Remember how cheap diesel used to be?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Imagine how much the flex would cost for a 120 mile drive!. And if more than one car was out it would get tangled :}

Reply to
gaz

Depends how much you want to enjoy your rural driving, and how many tractors/caravaners you need to get past.

Reply to
Davemar

The message from dave snipped-for-privacy@mailandnews.com (Davemar) contains these words:

I manage fine in a non-turbo diesel Maestro and don't seem to have trouble overtaking things.

Reply to
Guy King

I used to do OK in my 950cc Mk1 fiesta too... until it came to long hills when all my overtakees would catch me up again! Whereas in my ancient 205 GTi, most things can be dismissed quite easily which I would never has contemplated in the fiesta.

Reply to
Davemar

Check out

a much better idea. A car that runs on air!! When and if these get going the inventors are going to make Bill Gates look poor.

Reply to
David Cawkwell

Only if he's funding them. It's relatively trivial to work out the energy stored in a compressed gas & it's laughably small compared to anything else.

Reply to
Duncan Wood