Engine Electronics Warning light - MkIV Astra

Hey all, I have another little problem with my Astra, which I thoguht I'd run by y'all since you were all so helpful last time...the Engine Electronics warning light (the one that looks like an engine with a lightning bolt in the middle) is coming on on my dash. It only seems to be when accelerating above about 40mph. Slowing down, or taking the foot off the accelerator (generally) seems to make it go away after a couple of seconds, but it comes back on as soon as you accel again. The handbook says take it to your dealer straight away if it's constantly on, but that if it goes off and on, not to worry about it...

Any ideas, or anything I can check before taking it to the garage?

Thanks in advance, DSt.

Reply to
DSt

Sounds very much like an EGR valve problem (Exhaust Gas Recirculation). Vauxhall have had problems with EGR valves and have modified the design , they have also changed the EGR valve gasket material. If this is the case , the problem will get worse and the light will eventually not extinguish. You will need to have any fault codes read from the engine ECU on your car and see what fault is stored. On some cars (particularly the 1.6 litre single point versions) there is an ECU fault which can produce the same problem. Best of luck Mike

Reply to
Mike

First off, change to decent quality petrol and see if that stops it. I have frequently come across the light being put on due to inferior fuel, so if you are a supermarket fuel buyer, try a tank full of ultimate or the equivalent, it may well cure it.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Funnily enough, I just finished a tank of "ultimate", cos it was all they had the day I filled up my car. Don't normally buy it though, but I do try to steer clear of supermarket forecourts all the same. I'll get the ECU checked, and take it from there...

Thanks again, DSt.

Reply to
DSt