Engines... (was Timing belt or chain-which is best?)

How can you tell just by looking at the engine, whether it's a non-interference or an inteference one?

Reply to
Alex Buell

The message from Alex Buell contains these words:

You can't. Certainly not while assembled, and not easily when in bits.

Reply to
Guy King

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Nah, it's easy.

Let the belt break, then pull the head off. If the valves are bent, it was an interference engine.

Reply to
Adrian

you look in autodata, it is usually correct.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

The message from Alex Buell contains these words:

Only if I'm caught out in the rain waiting for my insane mother. (someone out there must get that referrence - but I don't suppose there'll be many)

Reply to
Guy King

Look at the reg. number. Can't think of any modern engine that won't be damaged if a cam drive breaks. Or any multi-valve one. Or OHC one. It would probably be easier to ask which ones aren't - there can only be a handful.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

*Was*.
Reply to
PC Paul

Vauxhall Nova 1.2 OHC. Or did my brother just get lucky?

Peter Hill

Apparently these are interference engines, but I'm not so sure. I done a 2.0 conversion on a 1.2 Corsa, and just for the banter, we took a blade to the belt so it was just hanging on then red-lined the engine until it broke.

Replacing the belt, again for a laugh, saw it start first time!

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Peter Hill ( snipped-for-privacy@nospam.demon.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

"Modern"