Estima brake warning light

The brake warning light on our '94 Toyota Estima diesel has started lighting up for a second or two while accelerating from stopped. It's been flashing occasionally - such as when going over sleeping policemen - for some weeks. The light is supposed to indicate that the handbrake is on (which it does OK) and I guess it's shared with other warning sensors but I don't know what. I looked for a fluid level sensor but there doesn't seem to be one, and anyway the level in the reservoir is OK. I don't know if there's a pad wear indicator but the light doesn't show when I'm braking and the lighting-up when accelerating seems too solid to be a dangling sensor wire shorting to anything.

I notice something electrical (see

connected intothe servo so I wonder if it's a vacuum sensor? Lack of vacuum whenaccelerating hard would make sense, but doesn't this car have a vacuumpump to drive the servo (it's a diesel engine). Even so, could that be introuble, or could it be the servo itself, or even the sensor? And how totest these, since it only happens momentarily when accelerating? Any other possibilities? Any clue apprieciated! :-)

Reply to
John Stumbles

Handbrake switch?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Why only when accelerating though?

Reply to
John Stumbles

It will have a low fluid sensor and your symptoms match low fluid.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Because it/the cable/the joint is loose & moves.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

D'oh! topped it up, no more red light.

Thanks

Reply to
John Stumbles

always check the simplest, easiest first !!

Reply to
Mrcheerful