Fiesta 1.25 1999 missing cylinder

Hi Group,

A problem suddenly occured on my fiesta last night. I went over a level crossing and the car then seemed to be down on power and missing on one cylinder. If I put my foot down on the throttle I get slow pickup and hesitation. Now and again. Seems intermittent. So I've tried the following so far.

  1. Replaced spark plugs with a known good old set.
  2. Checked I am getting a good spark at each plug.
  3. The car is fitted with a LPG gas injection kit so I opened up the hose for the gas injection of each cylinder and I am getting gas impulses. So I assume injection for petrol and gas is working correctly. The car seems to be more affected on gas than petrol. I get popping noises from the front in the manifold or exhaust not sure which with the lpg kit going. Can't seem to detect anything with petrol on.

  1. My next step is to do a compression test on each cylinder when I can find my compression test guage.

Any suggestion on what could be wrong. Remember this seemed to occur suddenly.

Reply to
david.cawkwell

plugs, leads, coil pack are the likely problem

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I seem to have isolated it to cylinder 4 although I did think the spark on that one wasn't as bright as the others. My compression tester doesn't seem to fit, not long enough to reach the threads. I ask you. I think I'll try plug leads failing that get a compression tester that fits. I assume the coil is shared between two cylinders so if it is ok on the other cylinder the coil is ok.

Reply to
david.cawkwell

Not quite, yes each half fires two cylinders at the same time, BUT one side can earth out internally giving a one sided spark, also since one spark is positive and one negative their characteristics are different. Unless the leads are recent and genuine then change them anyway, they are a common service item on many fords.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Ok I've replaced the plug leads. After visiting two shops to find them. I would have thought leads for a fiesta was a common item. I can tell the performance is improved but still missing. I'll try the coil next.

Reply to
david.cawkwell