Vauxhal immobiliser problem

2001 Zafira Using my wife's key the remote locking/unlocking started behaving erratically - sometimes it would unlock, sometimes not, same with locking. Time for a new battery I thought, confirmed by my wife who said "yes I've been meaning to ask you about that". So, by the time I replaced the battery it may well have been totally dead. Anyway, replaced the battery. I've done it 3 times before, so I know the drill, it was only out for about 20 secs, far less than the 3 mins the handbook says you are allowed without reprogramming.

Tried unlocking and locking the doors - fine. Thought that was problem solved.

Some time later, tried using this key to start the car, but no joy. The immobiliser (spanner through car) light flashes after 30 seconds or so with the ignition on, or after you have tried to start it, whichever comes first.

Consult handbook - need to re-synchronise - OK do that, insert key, turn ignition on, press either button, doors should then lock and unlock, but they don't, warning light still flashing, won't start. Will still lock/unlock doors OK, assume this is a separate function, unconnected to the immobiliser.

Tried my key (had a new battery a few months ago) - no problem, started first time, no flashing immobiliser light.

Tried my key, turned ignition on, removed my key, inserted my wife's key (within about 10 secs), started OK and could drive around the block. But stop the engine, remove the key and try again, won't start, immobiliser light is flashing.

Now, I know it sounds like the key is buggered, but it seems unlikely that changing the battery would do this (particularly as I'm very careful about this sort of job and I've done it several times before), so has anyone got clever ideas about what to try next, before I give in and take my wallet to the dealers?

Thanks Biggles

Reply to
Biggles

often the battery is just for the locks, not imob, as that is done by transponder and a rf coil.

Reply to
Neil - Usenet

You may be right - in which case is there any way to reset it? Thanks Biggles

Reply to
Biggles

Maybe the key setting procedure is similar to my my BMW, where any extra key has to be programmed after putting the good key into the ignition. Turning it to position 1, and then taking it out. Then programming the 2nd key within 30 seconds. When I tried programming a new key for my car, without reading the instructions properly, I had exactly the same symptons. The new key would open or lock the doors but wouldn't start the car. Maybe your Zafira has a similar system. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

You probably dropped the transponder when you were changing the battery. Carefully take the cover off the good key and you should see a small black plastic thing lodged between the two sides of the key. Check the dodgy key. almost certainly wont be there.

John

Reply to
John

Absolutely correct! And your suggestion about comparing the good and bad keys was so useful. Luckily I had changed the battery in the garage, so the transponder was still on the floor, not in the hoover or the dustbin (or landfill site):-)

From what I could see, it looks like the transponder may have been tacked in with a bit of glue, so possibly age or clumsy handling had loosened it enough to fall out. Vauxhall could of course have mentioned the need to be careful about the transponder in the instructions in the handbook.

Cheers John, you saved me a lot of aggravation and probably expense!

Biggles

Reply to
Biggles