Fiesta Problem

I've a 1990 Ford Fiesta 1.1 with HCS engine and twin choke Weber carb (94K miles). Its got a full service history and is well-maintained.

It ran fine until recently when on a long motorway trip it started to run out of power. The car runs fine at idle and when accelerating up to about half throttle. Pressing the accelerator beyond about the half-way mark, results in the engine sounding like its gasping for breath and it actually accelerates worse. Acceleration up to about half throttle seems normal. On even a slight incline I can only get about 40mph out of it. There's no apparent mecanical problems (e.g. noise, fuel leaks).

I've checked the air filter & plugs and all are OK. The spark is quite stong to each plug. I've checked the "power valve" diaphragm and it seems OK.

What I's like to know before I start dismantling things big-style is - has anyone experienced this before and is there an obvious solution (e.g swap the ignition module)?

Grateful for any advice & thanks in advance, Bob

Reply to
robert.currie

Dave,

Thanks for the tip. Did cleaning out the carb solve the problems?

Bob

Reply to
robert.currie

Try cleaning the breather pipes. - be carefull if you removel the air filter unit so you don't knock pipes off and cause another problem, like an air leak. Fords are know for emulsified oil - white gunk stuff in the pipes and filler cap. Does it have a carb? A mechanic would use a rag and cover the carb top and rev the engine till in nearly stops this "helps" clean out the jets - whilst I remember is there an inline fuel filter? if so they are about £2 so it might be worth changing it Bill

Reply to
bill

Try cleaning the idle control valve, it is a cylindrical valve about 5 inch long mounted on the left side of the inlet manifold, held on with two torx screws. Once off you can unscrew the screws that hold it together then clean it out with carb cleaner, I've had loads of problems with these in the past.

Steve.

Reply to
Steve Cov