Ford 1.4 TDCi cambelt

I've acquired a Ford Fusion with 89000 on the clock. The Ford Service Checksheet gives 150,000 or ten year to renew the cam belt. Is this a realistic target or should I be looking to renew it sooner.

Mike

Reply to
mike

Follow what Ford recommends. Check if the water pump has ever gone - on the service history. Unless you got it really cheap I wouldn't have bothered with 89000miles on it.

Reply to
Paul P

In message , Paul P writes

And why would that be? 89k miles is next to nothing these days

Come to think of it, aren't you the guy who diagnosed a holed piston and you doubted that the engine would run for much longer when the compression test showed a reading of 140 and it tuned out to be a split vacuum hose? Perhaps you should consider the quality of your advice to others.

- Paul Giverin

British Jet Engine Website:-

My photos:-

Paul Giverin

Do I take it from lack of response, that the manufactures figures of 150.000 miles are a safe maximum

Reply to
mike

Ford cambelts are generally considered to last to specification.

An acquaintance had one fail on a Mondeo recently at 124,000 miles; the change interval for his engine is 100,000 however!

As to whether you should change yours early, it depends on how many miles you intend to put on the car. If for perhaps 30,000 miles, then I wouldn't bother. If you intend to keep it for 100,000 miles, the I would change it when it has done 100,000 to 120,000 perhaps.

It is advisable to only use genuine Ford parts when you have it done.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Thanks for that Chris