Mk 2 Golf - Oil light on

Hi

I have an old (1989) Mk 2 Golf 1600 Auto that has done 130k miles. Sometimes while driving the oil pressure warning light comes on dimly or full on, and then goes off again. Also, the head lights and dash lights often dim at the same time that the oil light comes on. The oil light also comes on sometimes when the headlights are off.

Please can someone advise me what to check (apart from the oil level)?

BR

David

Reply to
DavidA

Faulty oil pressure switch ?

Can the mk2 be scanned with VAG-COM, could be worth a scan to see if any error codes are present ?

Reply to
Sarah

I would check the engine earth lead first, remove it and clean the ends and the places they touch and bolt it back on tightly, also check the connections at the battery and battery lead to body, check that the alternator is tightly bolted on and if possible check that the places it bolts on are clean, likewise check all the alternator connections. I can't remember on those, but some cars have a multi way plug to connect all the engine electrics, again if you have one that would be worth looking at.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Nope. The 1600 is a boggo carburated and clockwork model. AFAIK there are no fault code readers for the K-jet or Digifant cars either.

Reply to
Doki

Erm, no.

The MkII Golf doesn't have an ECU.

Reply to
SteveH

Ahh back to when cars required mechanical knowledge hehe

Reply to
Sarah

If it's a '90 spec Mk2 it'll have two multiplugs, earlier I think had one, but it could be the other way around.

Easy way to check is to have the engine running, connect a jump lead to the battery earth, put the headlights on and then touch the other end of the jump lead to the engine block. If the headlights become brighter you've got a knackered earth strap somewhere.

Reply to
Pete M

Oil pressure switch, battery voltage, instrument panel earths, engine earth strap, battery connections.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Oil pressure guage to check there's actually some oil pressure. Once that's been checked then there's the pressure switch if it's OK. If not, then its either worn return spring/plunger, oil pump or bottom end.

HOWEVER you say the lights dim. That has me worried. I'm kind of wondeinring if the engine is starting to lock up.

Reply to
Conor

I'd imagine the driver being flung forwards hard at the same time might also be mentioned.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Thanks for all your replies. I checked the earth strap using a jump lead as suggested and it seems ok.

Gulp, what does that mean?

David

Reply to
DavidA

Conor is thinking the engine is starting to seize. Does your car have a rev counter, and if so, what does it read at idle while the oil lamp is on? Is the engine running well?

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I don't know how I forgot this, but the Mk2 Golf has *two* oil pressure switches - one on the head and one on the block (on the oil cooler on GTis). Normally if the head isn't getting oil it'll make the light blink like f*ck, don't think it goes quite as mental when the block is oil starved. Weird that. Anyway, check 'em both.

Reply to
Pete M

The rev counter will drop as well anyway if the feed voltage drops.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I did wonder about that. I suppose the counter will be fed from the same supply and regulator in the instrument pack, so you're probably right.

FWIW, I reckon it's just a dodgy ground (or said regulator!)somewhere causing the instruments to give a false reading. No mention of near-stalling or any nasty noises. One sure way to test would be to get a oil pressure gauge temporarily plumbed in.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

All in all I think a seized engine's the least likely cause

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Thanks very much to all who have replied. My Golf does not have a rev counter so I couldn't check the engine speed. I did use a jump lead to check the earth strap with the car started from cold but there was no difference in the headlights which appeared bright. The dimming really only occurs when the car is warm and moving. I will try pulling over and checking with a jump lead again when I see the problem.

David

Reply to
DavidA

I'd suspect an instrument panel fault, or a fault with it's connections, then.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I'd agree.

Reply to