Ford focus Td gearbox problem

Looking at a focus td with a gearbox problem - noisy going into third - will it be better to rebuild or replace the box if I buy it and what costs would be involved?

Reply to
Staffbull

In message , Staffbull writes

Dodgy syncro on 3rd is a relatively common problem on the MTX box although the two MTX boxes in our household have 150k and 105k respectively without problems (touch wood). I would imagine a box from a scrappy would be the best bet. I assume you are getting the car for a very good price?

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Depends on who is doing the work. The easiest way is to get a recon box fitted. Have a look in Autotrader for prices.

Reply to
Conor

I assume you are getting the car for a very good price?=20 about =A32k 100k miles on a W plate 2000

Reply to
Staffbull

if it's using the mtx75 box it's about £300 to get it reconned from my local guy

Reply to
dojj

Well bought it !!! =A31849 off the well known auction site !!!!

collect it Wednesday.

Local place does gearbox reconning - will give em a bell in the morning

- =A3300 is sounds OK, as I was looking at a few in local dealers with same spec/miles and they were all over =A33k it will be a godsend in the MPG stakes as it's going to replace our

2000 Volvo V70 Auto load lugger !!! Any pointers on what else to look at when I'm picking it up appreciated.
Reply to
Staffbull

If it's just a slightly duff synchro on third, you can drive around it. I've done it for many years in older Alfas, until the synchros on 1st and 2nd went as well.

IMHO, it's not worth having the box reconned unless it's *really* bad - a slightly stubborn 3rd gear synchro wouldn't worry me at all.

Reply to
SteveH

IMHO, it's not worth having the box reconned unless it's *really* bad -

a slightly stubborn 3rd gear synchro wouldn't worry me at all.

I wouldn't mind either, but its for her indoors, so needs to be right!! I'm flogging her beloved V70 auto as it is !!! but at 27 mpg we'll pocket the difference soon !!

Reply to
Staffbull

Pah!

Tell her to learn how to drive properly, then....

My wife did loads of miles in a pair of Alfa 33s with knackered synchros, and later an Alfa 75 with knackered synchros.

Reply to
SteveH

the mt75 boxes on the rwd/4wd cars had the same problems with 3rd gear syncro's doesn't take a lot past that to start causing problems and when you lose the box altogether it's going to be more expensive to replace than just a quick rebuild

Reply to
dojj