Ford Focus Window Regulator

Hi

I need advice re non functional drivers window regulator on a Ford Focus Zetec 51 plate.

The window glass is fully up and does not move at all when the switch is pressed

I measured the regulator voltage +/- 10 volts under load.

All the instructions for replacing the regulator say lower the glass half way down to remove the glass.

I would if I could!

Is there a recommended way to sabotage the regulator to lower the glass?

Are the non Ford windows regulators any good?

They are much cheaper than Ford prices £68 from the

comapred to £220 + from Ford (according to a thread from July last year).

Richard

Reply to
RichardB

If it's really 10v then somethings stuck.

Angle grinder:-)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

try just giving it a direct electrical feed straight to the motor, otherwise unbolt the motor assembly/slidey bit and it will all drop rather rapidly

Reply to
Mrcheerful

co.ukcomapred to 220 + from Ford (according to

replaced mine last year ( 52 Focus , same door ) The part was < =A3100 I think, from Ford dealer but I had to replace the door seal thing as well. The lifter mechanism can be detached from the glass by pushing out the hollow plastic tube in the middle that goes through a whole in the glass. It's not easy and there was no particularly elegant way of doing it that I could see! If it's not moving when you put 12v on it then you might as well just cut the wire or do what ever.. I think they are pretty much disposable.

Reply to
mr p

n.co.ukcomapredto 220 + from Ford (according to

oops! I just check my previous post, it was a rear window which failed on Mine ! Must think before I post ;-)

Reply to
mr p

oops! I just check my previous post, it was a rear window which failed on Mine ! Must think before I post ;-)

Do you imply that the motor is drawing current and causing the volts to drop? If this is the case have you tried firmly pulling down on the glass as you operate the switch? Put a hand each side of the window and pull down whilst getting someone to operate the switch. Some cars will isolate the motor if stalled for a few seconds - so be quick.

Reply to
John

snip

Many thanks for all the advice - apart from angle grinder :-o

I have tried bypassing the car wiring & connecting the regulators motor momentarily straight to the battery.

Regulator motor could be heard to "thunk" but no window movement!

I will try pulling down on the window as suggested by John.

The local Ford main dealer has quoted £269.73 for a new regulator!

A local motor factor wants £108 inc VAT, I prefer OEM but not at that price!

Richard

Reply to
RichardB

Time to remove the trim and investigate. Fortunately it seems the motor is still working (Thunk). Could it be something rusted and seized? Could a cable have crossed on the winding mechanism

Reply to
John

On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 22:40:04 -0000, John wrot= e:

Yup,

In general once they do that you'll need a new one.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I had a few used ones come up on the web, ' find-a-part' what ever it was, but seem to remember they were not cheap any way. Block of wood in door and trip to scrappy if it happens to me again.

Reply to
mr p