Ford Mondeo W Reg - Cam Belt - What can I expect to have to pay???

Hi, I'm new to this user group, and have a 'W' Reg Ford Mondeo GLX 5 Door (petrol). The odometer has just gone 97,000 miles, and it's due for a cam-belt replacement. I have spoken to the garage which has serviced this car once or twice, and they have quo= ted approx =C2=A3150 for the 'kit', and about 3 hours labour at approx =C2=A360 per ho= ur, so a total of approx =C2=A3310. Could someone please reply, and tell me if this figure is in the ball-park, or if it is t= oo high/low. I thought it would be less than this simply for a cam-belt change. Many thanks, Nathan.

Reply to
Nathan

Hi Paul, Firstly, thank you very much for your quick reply. The place I was asking for the quote from was Fields Car Centre in Woking, Surrey - whic= h I thought should give me a good price. =

Which garage do you use to get a ball-park figure of =C2=A3220? Thanks, Nathan.

Reply to
Nathan

The message from "Nathan" contains these words:

Cam belts are the new car tax.

Reply to
Guy King

In message , Nathan writes

That sounds too high. I think about £200-220 is average where I live. Make sure whoever does the job does use the full kit with tensioners and make sure they use either the genuine Ford kit or a Gates kit (Gates make the kits for Ford).

Reply to
Paul Giverin

In message , Nathan writes

I'm in Norfolk which may be a bit cheaper. There is an official Ford dealer in Norwich who would do it for £220 (last years price admittedly). Independent garages are around £180. Shop about for quotes. Ask around for recommendations about garages. Perhaps ask in uk.local.surrey

Reply to
Paul Giverin