Ford radio key codes.

My 1996 Transit has a Ford 2015 audio unit. I've just had some welding work done on the van and the battery was, of course, disconnected whilst this was done. I put in the keycode (but see below!): the numbers appeared, but when I pressed "Select" the dashes simply re-appeared. Confident that this was the correct number, I went through this routine several times. After maybe the 6th(??) attempt the dashes remained all the while - the numbers not appearing as I tried to enter them. I've now discovered that I have another one of these units about the place (with its handbook/keycode) and I had been using the wrong number for the installed one. But now that I am trying to put in the number I *know* to be the correct one it won't accept the digits - the dashes remain. Is there any way I can get this unit back into service, please?

TIA for any replies.

Reply to
DB.

try disconnecting the power for ten minutes then reconnect , turn off, hold down 6 and turn on.

Reply to
mrcheerful

The message from "DB." contains these words:

I've never really understood why people do this. Surely the battery, being a very low impedance sink on any circuits still energised would actually help damp out stray voltages, not make 'em worse?

Reply to
Guy King

You may have to wait 24 hours before you try again , once you enter the wrong code over (i think) 10 times the units disabled There are places that can recode them

Reply to
Steve Robinson

you need to leave the radio on with the key in the ingnition set to position one

it will then start to countdown and after 30min ? ish not to sure now

the display will allow you to enter the code

-- regards

Reply to
William Teach

Leave it on power for 30 minutes and it will reset.

Take the radio out and e-mail me the serial number.

I will send back the code.

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

Thanks to all who replied. Yes, it was the suggestion by 'William Teach' and 'puffernutter' that I leave it on for 30 mins. for it to re-set itself that solved my problem. I didn't imagine it would be so straightforward! Thanks again.

Reply to
DB.

If you're spectacularly ham-handed, welding through the battery cable may be bad.

Reply to
Ian Stirling