freelander misfire

Hi, Hope you can help me! my 2000 freelander has developed a slight misfire on tick over (its the 1.8 one dont laugh) ive changed the plugs leads dissy cap and rotor arm. I have even changed the oil and oil filter. but it remains, any ideas. possible coil pack??

Reply to
chunkybear via CarKB.com

Head gasket.....

Reply to
SteveH

Already been there. on new engine 17000miles old. new from landrover. no coolant/oil mixing

Reply to
chunkybear via CarKB.com

forgot to mention that it runs fine under load or revving the engine

Reply to
chunkybear via CarKB.com

Well obviously check the plugs first, noting their colour..

Coil pack, no- one or 2 cylinders would be dead all the time not just at idle.

Compression test is next, also check you are definately not loosing coolant- inlet manifold gasket is a big favourite and it sucks coolant in causing a miss- usually always on pot 4.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Already changed the plugs. looks like dead head gasket then. I'll ring landrover as the engine was only fitted in june 05 costing over 2 grand. however this was paid for by the previous keeper. do you think i have any chance of some help off them?? the car has only done 17000 mls on this engine, so does seem a bit premature. Ive read the back of the receipt and it states parts supplied are guaranteed for 3 months or 3000 miles. I think this is a bit mean when you consider the cost of a brand new unit..

Reply to
chunkybear via CarKB.com

It's a K-series. Doesn't matter that it's only done 17k miles, if the coolant hasn't been checked regularly or the mix was wrong, then it doesn't take long to kill the head gasket.

Although, by 05, it should have had the modified kit on it which should help prevent issues.

Reply to
SteveH

cooling system filled by guy salmon mechanics. k series or not it should still last a lot longer than 17k. i think i will give landrover a go and see how i get on. coolant level hasnt dropped at all. temp guage normal.

Reply to
chunkybear via CarKB.com