93 golf misfire - what am i missing

Ive got a 93 1.8 Golf. Its the one with an ABS engine, single point fuel injection. Now, its got a regular misfire on number 4 cylinder. Its got new HT leads, rotor arm and dizzy cap and theres definitely a spark at the plug and the leads are in the right order. So I think 'it must be fuel then' but its a single injector. What am i missing? The only thing i can think of is that the inlet valve isnt opening correctly because of a worn cam or something?? Is this likely? Any ideas golf gurus?

Reply to
kembers

I don't know about them, but I might try replacing/rotating the spark plug. Conceivably the plug could spark in air, but have a problem under compression. Improbable, yes, but cheap and easy. Or maybe you already replaced plugs and figured that went without saying.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

thanks for the suggestion but I already changed the plugs :-(

Reply to
kembers

compression check time!

Reply to
Woodchuck

Ah - forgot to mention that I already checked compression and all cylinders were fine.

Reply to
kembers

So lets see, you checked the compression = fine you changed the spark plugs and wires = fine

So I would guess you either have a vacuum leak or maybe bad/weak valve springs in the cylinder head. :-( Does the brake booster vacuum hose hook up near #4 cylinder intake area? How do the brakes feel and do you hear any hissing at any time?

JMHO and let us know what you find! later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

Brilliant. you are a genius (and I should have thought of that). It was a tiny split in the rubber joint from the brake pipe to the inlet manifold. I replaced the pipe and the motor is purring again. thanks again dave. Stewart

Reply to
kembers

large or small paypal donation will not be refused! lol

glad it was a simple problem! :-) enjoy! later, dave

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I tried that, do you want to know the results?

Reply to
Woodchuck

yes later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave