Fuel door release not working - Mondeo, Yr. 2000

My mondeo hatch fuel door release lever won't open the fuel door. When I pull the lever up, it feels like it's not connected to anything. Presumably there's a cable connecting the lever to the door. How do I locate it? Is it a big job to fix?

Reply to
padraigjoseph

This used to happen on a Mondeo I owned. My memory is that fixing it required loosening the trim in the boot behind the filler cap, and it was then easy to get to (there was also an alternative release within the boot - a thin wire with a T shaped handle poking up on the right side of the boot trim). If you are lucky that's where the problem will be and fixing it should be easy.

Andy

Reply to
Andy McKenzie

Excellent. Thanks a lot for your help Andy. I got it fixed. It's perfect now.

Reply to
padraigjoseph

Curious - mine has just started doing that. First the hatch release stopped working about two weeks ago, today the fuel flap release went too. I figured there had to be some way to open it from in the boot and found yon handle, but I'm not sure whether the hatch *and* flap means the laver has cracked or something. It can wait...

Reply to
PC Paul

It is a fairly regular problem. The release is cable operated and every now and again, it just fails to release the flap. My usual advice is to drive the car off the filling station forecourt, in which case it works every time! On Mk.2's and Mk.3's, there is a manual release, but you have to remove the boot trim to get at it. Once opened, a small dollop petroleum jelly or grease on the release pin should prevent the problem recurring.

Mk.1's had a nifty little pull release, which poked through the trim. If you can get one from a scrapped Mk.1, it can certainly be fixed to a Mk.2's manual release (and probably a Mk.3's as well) with a cable tie.

Reply to
Stephen Leak