Gentleman of the Road?

Has the meaning of this changed?

Yesterday I got pulled over for a vehicle inspection. The car was my daily driver a 1994 Nissan 200SX S13. It's slightly crusty, 3" turbo back stainless exhaust.

So one policeman asks my details and makes sure I know who I am while the other does a circuit of the car. Gets back from the circuit and says to his mate, "We don't need to keep him any longer, "Gentleman of the Road" has his winter tyres on". Matched set of Toyo Winter Proxes.

What does a policeman mean by "Gentleman of the Road"?

Have I been called a tramp or Highwayman?

Reply to
Peter Hill

Don't be so sensitive. In the context, take it as a compliment. They probably see a lot of 'older' cars which, shall we say, aren't as well maintained as they could be. (No, I've no issue with older cars, until a couple of years back I had a 1999 one myself.)

Reply to
Brian Reay

Round here, they only seem to do that if a number plate check throws up something. Or an obvious breach of some regulation like noise or lights.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

+1, that is exactly how I would read it. You may also be a few decades older than the person they expected to be driving.
Reply to
newshound

Plus, of course, if you were polite/ reasonable to them it makes a difference. Someone who ?kicks off? can perhaps expect to be more carefully scrutinised ;-)

A few weeks back, eldest and husband were on way to have a meal in their second car, which doesn?t get much use. Sure enough, while stuck in traffic he turned the engine off and it wouldn?t restart. Called RAC etc but a few minutes later Police turn up, get them going etc, check they are safely on their way, complete with ?selfie? of smiling policemen, daughter, and son-in-Law. The police really aren?t our enemy.

Reply to
Brian Reay