Megane misfire and warning light

Driving up the M1 on Saturday, my Megane started misfiring badly and a warning light came on and stayed on. I slowed down and managed to nurse it to my destination (I was only a couple of miles away).

I called out the AA and by the time the mechanic arrived, the car would start and tick over (although a little lumpily). When we tried to drive it, the warning light came on intermittently and the engine was misfiring (although not as badly as it had been originally).

We identified that the warning light is suggesting that there's a problem with the fuel injectors, The mechanic thought it may be a problem with the coil (because the misfire occurred under load). He couldn't do any further testing so I got Relayed home.

I read somewhere that this may be a problem that the proprietary injector cleaners may fix.

The car is a Megane 1.6 manual P reg 97k miles.

Has anyone come across this problem? Is there any way that anyone can suggest that I can try and narrow down the problem?

Appreciate any help

Neil

Reply to
Neil

I doubt it. Get the computer read and see what the self test suggests. The fact that the light came on means that the computer will have recorded some fault codes.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Probably one of your (2) coil packs have failed, very common on all Renaults. You may find its okay when cold, but drops progressively more towards 2 cylinder when hot.

Faulty coil packs can spike the ECU which is usually man enough to shrug it off by shutting down but dont always light the MIL.

Pug 206's in particular exhibit different symptoms with their well known faulty coils in that the engine usually continues to run fine but you get all sorts of weird and wonderful electrical wackery going on. Same cause- back EMF.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Christian, Tim

Thanks for your advice.

I had a look at the car yesterday. I thought I'd try some injector cleaner first and having done this and run the car around for about 30 miles, all symptoms have disappeared - no warning light, no misfire and back to full power. Car started and ran perfectly this morning too.

I guess I'll just monitor the situation and see if the problem recurs. If so, then I'll take your advice.

I'd read that injector cleaner may cure problems in my Haynes manual so I guess others have suffered the same problems.

Again, thanks for your help

Neil

Reply to
Neil