headlights: blowing too often

Why should there even *be* a list Peter? Have we really got to the situation where people (especially the designers) have lost all desire for what is safe and practical? ;-(

How many people buy a vehicle because of the shape / pattern of the lights?

So who thought that would be a 'good idea' and why haven't they been sacked?

Lovely.

Maybe the designers have said it doesn't matter because many people don't use their indicators in any case?

I have re-fitted many a standard indicator after binning those you describe (on motorbikes). Why (as a motorcyclist *especially*) would I not want my indicators to be clear and visible under all lighting conditions. This is another example of people using something because it's 'there' (LEDS typically) without actually considering if they actually work as required. There is no reason why a LED indicator unit couldn't be made to give the same level of light / clarity as the old incandescent / reflector / coloured lens units we all took for granted when things were made to work to a real world standard.

Seen quite a few of the running light models on trucks as well.

I'd say most modern cars are crap (for lights specifically) from my POV.

This could all be a push towards automated cars. Make the stats look bad because the design of cars makes it more difficult for humans? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Well --- are the lamps dipped beam and "always on"? Standard brightness lamps have a life around 500 hours (or 15000 miles) ... so about a year maybe 18 months IF they are always on (like on post

2006 motorbikes). High brightness lamps have a shorter life - about 250 hours (or 7500 miles - assuming an average of 30mph). About a year, maybe!. Taking the motorbike example, it can pay to change a lamp once a year to every 2 years in the comfort of your garage. Some bike headlight lamps are VERY difficult to change.Some are easy. I dont like changing lamps at the roadside in the pissing rain. :-)

Switchable? Then they should last years and years and years if you never drive in the rain/dark/night!

Shorter life than that? Check connections and alternator voltage stability.

Reply to
Kellerman