Help! Possessed Cavalier?

1995/M Cavalier 2.0i, 102000 miles.

Last night, while I was sitting in the car and the engine was idling, the battery warning light came on. "Oh", thinks I, "the fan belts's gone or the brushes have worn out." Leeked under the bonnet and found the alternator belt was fine (it was dark and there's a not of stuff in the way but I think it shares the cambelt.)

Revving the engine made the light brighten, a lot, almost to the point of popping the bulb. If you remember the scene from the film "Poltergeist", where the lights in the house brighten almost to he point of pain, that's what it was like.

Since I was about 20 miles from home, I decided to nurse the car home and sort it out this morning. While driving along the motorway, suddenly the dashlights and the headlights brightened perceptibly and the engine management and ABS warning lamps came on (engine management steady, ABS flashing on and off.)

This spooked me a bit, but I was on a motorway and didn't want to stop. Some minutes later, all the warning lamps, including the battery light, abruptly went out and the car returned to normal. It seems fine this morning.

So what do I need? An exorcism, or something more mundane?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Either the regulator or diodes have failed.

Reply to
Conor

Or the earth lead to the engine/battery is loose.

Reply to
Duncanwood

That's sounds more like it, or probably the extra earth strap from top bolt holding the rubber-mounted alternator to the block. (happened to both my 2L Vauxhalls) JB

Reply to
JB

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Mike Tomlinson saying something like:

Think yourself lucky you haven't fried the expensive electronics when the regulator went mad. Years ago it happened to me in a ShiteOldRenault - no electronics, but every bulb blew when the voltage reg went apeshit. The odd thing was the utterly blue-white quality of the headlamp beams just before failure.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

In article , Duncanwood writes

The battery earth terminal's tight, but the short black wire that connects the battery earth terminal to chassis feels too flexible. It might be breaking up internally; I'll change it.

Do you know where the engine block to chassis earth strap is on this car, please? I've had a good look but can't spot it.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In article , JB writes

The alternator's mounted on the back of the block with three bolts. The lower bolt is fixed straight to the block; the upper two go via a flat, twisted metal bracket and a V-shaped metal bracket to the block.

Thus, as far as I can see, the alternator chassis is connected directly to the block; there are no rubber mountings and no extra earth strap.

Do you know where the engine block to chassis earth strap is, please?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

IIRC it's attached to the side of the gearbox and to the inner wing (obscured by the battery tray). If it's corroded and frayed, which is fairly likely, you might also need a new accelerator cable as the engine may have tried to earth itself through that instead.

Reply to
Carl Bowman

In article , Carl Bowman writes

Many thanks. Will take a look in the morning.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I thinj it goes from the bell housing to the wing. Check the alternators earthed to the block, I think on yours it's just bolted to it but it might be missing the 6mm2 wire that went in parallel with the tensioner arm.

Reply to
Duncanwood

On 11-Jul-05 12:44:54, Mike Tomlinson said

Its been said before and probably will be again, but there's something funny about the Cavalier's electrical system, oh yes.

All the best, Angus Manwaring. (for e-mail remove ANTISPEM)

I need your memories for the Amiga Games Database: A collection of Amiga Game reviews by Amiga players

Angus Manwaring