Hot air pipe(?) - Pug 106

I have a split pipe on my Pug 106, it is a hot air feed to the ail filter. I didn't know there was one! There is a cold air intake, a "flap" in the pipe which the hot air line connects to, then to the carb via the air filter.

Picture attached.

I want to replace it, but I am not sure what it actually is for, or even what to search for!

Anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks!

Reply to
Mark

it is to take warm air from the exhaust area to feed into the engine, in winter this can be slightly beneficial. If it is not there it will not be noticed. Most car shops used to stock it, some still will. If you really want to replace it, then do, but trust me, it is not important.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

It also lets the engine run at its normal mixture setting a minute or so earlier in Winter than it would otherwise. It saves about half a cupful of fuel per journey, IME. The big cube on the right of the picture that both pipes run into should have a themostatically conrolled flap inside which attempts to keep the air going into the engine at more or less a constant temperature. They normally stop working after a few years.

Reply to
John Williamson

It seems ages since we had a decent carb icing thread, doesn't it?

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

I blame the diseasels and other injected cars.

Diesel blockng the filters with wax, anyone?

Reply to
John Williamson

please don't start that again. I was tempted to mention it, but was worried by what it might start, now you have gone and done it.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I taped it up. On ebay these 60mm tubes were going for silly money IMO.

Reply to
Mark