HP Termination

has any body here terminated a hp agreement, apparently I can terminate the agreement and the finance company will recover the car and I can walk away, seems like a good idea as the car isn't worth what I owe and ive gone over the half way point in the term. Has any one any experience in this practice ?

Reply to
Steve

Best speak to the finance company to see how you can get away lightly. DaveK.

Reply to
DaveK

"DaveK" mumbled:

And find out whether it'll affect any future applications for credit.

Reply to
Guy King

Steve declared:

With UK HP the car is not yours until (normally, but check the small print) two thirds of the re-payments have been made, and if at *any time* up to then you default in the re-payments the HP company can repossess the vehicle and you lose *everything* and you still "have* to pay the outstanding balance. This arrangement varies from country to country, but this is the case in mainland UK. One other problem with defaulting on UK HP agreements - An entry can exist on your permanent credit record that is as destructive as a CCJ: A

*Default*. If you miss two to three payments of an agreement (Hire Purchase, Lease etc) the creditor can send you a formal default letter. A CCJ and a Default are both regarded as serious information by lenders etc. The problem in the case of HP is that you *cannot* pay or satisfy a Default: it is just there! An inexperienced clerk at any HP finance company can send a Default to you and have it added to your credit record without any supervision or even if you are not in serious default.
Reply to
Bigjon

I have heard that there are circumstances in which you can return the car, not owe any more money and they cannot put a mark on your credit file. I think it might be after you have paid 2/3 of the debt, but you'd need to check.

Apparently its becoming a common issue - the fall in used car prices mean that its more economical to walk away. I'd ask on uk.legal or go to Citizen's Advice and then follow it up on the relevant web site - the consequences of getting it wrong are pretty high!

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Just doing it now, so ask me in a few weeks time!

Rang them, sent them a letter (recorded) stating wish to terminate, got letter back to acknowledge, this was a week ago, car being picked up today (must be road legal / suitable condition as per agreement), then I believe that's it.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Bollocks.

It's a contractual termination, the contract allows it so you are terminating as per agreement.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Well ive been in touch with the organisation recommended by watchdog and they have confirmed that if you have reached the minimum point in the contract to which is roughly two thirds then you can hand the goods back and not have to pay any more, and as you are exercising your rights under the contract then you have not defaulted on the payment. Assuming that the car isn't worth as much as I owe and the HP company would have to take the car and dispose of some how, maybe they would be prepared to accept an offer for the car around what it is worth ? I shall ring them tomorrow and find out !

Reply to
Steve