I don't beleeeve it!

Please see my reply to Gazzafield.

Reply to
Howard Neil

Thanks for the idea. I will investigate this possibility.

Reply to
Howard Neil

The message from Art Deco contains these words:

Long handled window-squeegee does it for me.

Reply to
Guy King

Are you aware that plural's don't take apostrophe's?

Reply to
Art Deco

and for non military personnel the MOD90 is an ID card and the cop your were referring to was MDP now MDPGA right?

Reply to
Joe

I have. If there's nowhere suitable in daytime, you'll have to check at night.

I manage to do light checks sometimes up to 5 times a day on my own without any help in the daylight using nothing more than a building or wall.

Reply to
Conor

Sorry to be dim but I don't understand the MDP acronyms

Reply to
Conor
[...]

And pretty much undetectable with a DMM also!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I must be unlucky - around here (liverpool) I'd see at least one car per week with no brake lights at all. The thing is its not the easiest thing to check if you dont have something to back up against or someone to look for you. I got so sick of people driving up my ass that I rewired the fogs as side/tail lights as well. They are a bit brighter and more glarey than brakes and seem to strike home a little better without dazzling. Also means i have much less likelyhood of being one-side-down.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

opinion that the percentage of cars with one brake light was higher here than elsewhere.

I'll second that!, living near Christchurch - maybe it's a Costa Del Geriatrica thing....

Reply to
airsmoothed

So the connectors can be in a dodgy enough state to stop a bulb lighting completely until they get cleaned up etc, but you don't believe there's anything in the circuit that can drop a few volts?

Try some real world electronics instead of 'GCSE Science'....

Reply to
PC Paul

You did what!?

Reply to
David Taylor

But that is nothing to do with what is being discussed here!

The issue is, if one lamp in parallel with another fails, will there be a significant change in brightness of the remaining lamp. The answer to this is no. (If the answer was yes, the original circuit had some serious design failings!)

Why so rude? Anyway, ITYM "electrics".

BTW, I was working in the electrical industry for 24 years before the introduction of GCSE. Do you still think I don't understand voltage drop?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

You should perhaps try reading it.

Reply to
David Taylor

You read correctly (actually they are used as brakes in the japanese version and the light lenses are not different) the only reason they are brighter is the internal mirror surface is less 'aged'.

The standard lenses had a 'smoked' option, which mine are, and so are slightly more dull than their unsmoked counterparts.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Ok, real life measurements. Vauxhall Omega 2.6 V6, 2001, engine running, standard electrics in use, main beam on. Voltage on nearside light cluster with both bulbs = 13.05v, removed driver's side bulb = 13.41v, a difference of only 3%. This will be noticable (it was!) but not substantially.

Regarding the electrical industry, hopefully that's somewhat better at design than the automotive industry (having seen a 1.0mm2 core feeding the sunroof, protected by a 30A fuse I have some issues with car wiring). But you must acknowledge that part of circuit design is to balance fitness for purpose against cost.

Reply to
Mike Dodd

Someone stole them? :-)

Reply to
Howard Neil

Noticed a lot of saddo's with St Georges flags stuck on their car as well.

Isn't there a law against this sort of thing, and if not, why not?

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

No, I just seem to lots of little old fruitbats with defective lights, I get the impression that they just don't know how to check their lights other than the MOT once a year.

Even worse, we seem to have a nasty influx of invalid chariot drivers who feel that a dual carrageway is the ideal place to go racing juggernaults. In the town centre in Worthing we have our two regulars, Fittipaldi and Senna, for whom nothing is going to get in their way, even the speed limit in some cases.

How I would love to see them pulled over and ticketed for speeding..... :o)

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

Why don't manufacturers use their brains and put a brake light test delay switch in a useful place, like in the glove box or the spare wheel bay, so we can at least pop the lights on test for a minute for this sort of thing.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard