IACV Mondeo 1.8i

Me again, Now I have cured the misfire with the help of you chaps, I now want to lower my warm tickover. It generally sits at 1000 but does occasionally oblige by dropping to 800. These are figures used by the cars rev counter, but seem to be fairly consistant. I have pulled the IACV off, found no gasket fitted and the facings in a state of general disrepair. I have cleaned it out as best I can with a can of carb cleaner and dressed off the facings, and put a gasket in. Seems to only need a spectacle shape or figure eight type gasket made of rubber, which is fitted. The whole thing is held on with two 7mm bolts. Using images found on Ebay, the fitted IACV is the same shape as the one used by 1.3 Ka's etc. The Mondeo 1.8 one has a different shape, the main ferature being an electrical plug that is fitted sideways on as opposed to in line with the body of the IACV. Is the difference only a new way of building it, or is it significant? Also, the pictures in Ebay for the MK2 Mondeo IACV seem to show a fatter body that the one fitted to my car.

Reply to
Tunku

Tunku wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net:

Anyone?

Reply to
Tunku

.net:

Hello

Are you saying the one that was fitted (and not chnaged by you) is a Ka "shaped" one?

If so, I'd be suprised if it makes any difference. Does the IACV actually work? does the car stall if you unplug it (it has on every ford i've ever owned).

Maybe the ECU thinks the engine is too cool and is hold ing the revs up, unplug the temp sender(s) to see if the revs go up.

Steven

Reply to
Steven Langdale

So what are you saying? The one fitted to your car is the wrong one and actually should be on a Ka?

All the Zetec-E ones I've come across are metal cased with the plug inline as you say.

If the ISCV is in good repair, and working, and the throttle plate is clean and its setting not been messed with, you have no air leaks, and the rubber elbow isnt split. then next port of call is the PSPS where the electrical connection invariably rubs on the bonnet sound proofing and goes O/C. This will give you your elevated tickover.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

Don't know these cars but does it have a vehicle speed sensor that increases the revs slightly when in motion? One of my motors had one that was faulty keeping the revs to about 1300.

Reply to
Redwood

Steven Langdale wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@n11g2000yqb.googlegroups.com:

Yes, it stalls when unplugged. I'll try the temp sender

Reply to
Tunku

"Tim.." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

You have reminded me that the throttle adjustment screw does not appear to have a seal on it.

Reply to
Tunku

"Redwood" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

I'm faily sure it has a VSS sensor in the speedo cable part of the gearbox.

Thanks to all above people for giving me a few new ideas.

Reply to
Tunku