Insurance renewal premium too low - shocker!

Bit odd, this.

I'm assisting my elderly ma in renewing her car insurance - she's one of these that the industry loves; ie she just autorenews each year. So this time I've persuaded her of the benefits of shopping around for quotes first. Her renewal quote, from a household name, was ?437 (full NCD), and included all sorts of optional add-on s**te like legal cover, key cover, misfuelling cover etc. It was ?324 without any optional extras.

I went on GoCompare for her, and came up with quotes of ?620 and upwards. Bizarrely, the basic quote from the same Household Name that she's currently with was just shy of ?800.

I assumed that there was something 'wrong' with the renewal quote, so I've scrutinised her renewal invitation, but cannot see anythiung amiss

- it all looks perfectly correct. The only difference I can see is the compulsory excess; but that's nowhere near enough to account for such a discrepancy.

I'm gobsmacked thet the Household Name is offering her a renewal quote so much lower than a new-business quote. Anybody experienced this? I'm obviously inclined to tell her to snatch their hand off for the renewal quote, but there's just a nagging doubt that I'm missing something here...

Reply to
Lobster

Legal highway robbery. They charge what they can get away with. My renewal was £384 with full cover for everything possible and it seems that I am covered by at least four different breakdown companies by various bank accounts and policies yet have only ever asked for one.

Reply to
Berty Blenkinsop

One thing to try is jiggling about with some of her data to see what's causing the high quotes. I'd do this with a junk name and address so doing lots of quotes doesn't cause any issues. It's also worth trying another comparison site.

Sometimes one little thing can change the quote a lot - for example if your car has a 'modification' then suddenly half the insurers don't quote for it and you're left with only a few expensive ones who will.

Some things you can't change, but other things you can (keeping your car stock saves on insurance).

Theo

Reply to
Theo

The insurance market moves in mysterious ways....

Insuring two drivers on a policy reduces the premium. I had my Ex on the policy and when she walked out, the premium went up on renewal. This was despite my Ex being on a Swedish licence and working in a licenced for alcohol restaurant. Needless to say I got my new girlfriend on the policy PDQ...

Based on that experience, try adding yourself as a named driver.

That American guy who shows up in a red sports car when calamities strike came out as the best quote by far on my last two renewals, (Skoda Fabia 1.6 TDi and Toyota 2.2 d_4d Rav 4).

Reply to
Steve

I'm looking at buying a new 2008. Half the insurers won't quote as they claim they don't have a group number for it. Dunno what the f*ck that is all about and why they don't just ask another company who does have a number what it is.

Reply to
Berty Blenkinsop

My guess is that, like Dave P with his Boxster, she doesn't fall into a class that anyone wants to attract as new business. However, seeing their past history shows they are a better risk than you might expect, so the renewal quote is low.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

That sounds very high. Is it a very posh car or do a high annual mileage?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On 16 Aug 2016, "Dave Plowman (News)" grunted:

Well she's 84, drives a 2.0 litre Golf, and has 3 speeding points. So I think that'd do it!

In answer to others - yes, we're aware of the second driver thing. I've been her named driver ever since my dad died, until this year when I've found that my own 3 speeding points will make her premium rise rather than fall; so my clean-licensed brother is being co-opted this time instead!

Sounds like Nick's answer might be plausible...

Thanks

Reply to
Lobster

Ah. I'm not quite that old and have a clean licence - but live in central London, car parked in the street, and a rather more powerful car, but pay rather less. But don't have any 'extras' and a fairly large excess.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Was playing around on a site for insuring teenagers the other night, the biggest price difference?.

Postcode!!

Tried several including where we used to live 200 metres away and that was quite a difference alone.

Reply to
tony sayer