Intermittent Speedo

Mazda MX5 - speedo occasionally drops to zero - it has a LCD mileometer. Not sure if speedo is electronic or mechanical. Any suggestions (car not with me - it is my daughter's)

Reply to
John

I've had similar on Citroens. They have a sensor on the gearbox which sends pulses up a cable to the speedo somehow. The sensor has I believe a plastic gear which engages in the box. Sometimes the gear can wear or the cable/connections become intermittent. But you probably knew that already.

Reply to
malc

No - but I once had a problem with a Rover 214 - the spiral gear in the gearbox was loose on the shaft.

Any more ideas? If it is electronic, why would it need a gear?

Reply to
John

trouble at t'mill, skew gear's loose on't treadle.

the senders do fail, not the gear

Reply to
Mrcheerful

The gear meshes with the gearbox and rotates to generate pulses which are read by the speedo.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

This also happened to my Fiat Croma, never happened for my 15 y old Saab 9000.

Reply to
johannes