Is N Reg. Mondeo Turbo Diesel worth repairng after running with no coolant?

A friend has a 1.8 Turbo Diesel Mondeo which ran out of water on a trip. It was an hour or two before refilling so shouldn't have cracked anything. It will start and run but issues some smoke/steam/unburnt diesel. (he's not sure which and lives 150 miles away so I can't inspect). Fresh coolant is being contaminated with oil too by the sound of it.

Obviously the head gasket has gone and presumably the head might need skimming - but could more be wrong?

This car was quite reasonable before the mishap but he's not sure whether to spend several hundred pounds on a new banger or have the work done on the Mondeo.

What would be a guide price for fitting new head gasket, skimming the head plus a cam belt kit while it's down?

Many thanks for any responses.

Reply to
jukebore

Not worth doing on something worth relatively little. And if it was run without coolant for an hour or two then it may well have cracked something. A few minutes he might have got away with, but not a couple of hours.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I think the OP meant they left it for a couple of hours after it ran out before refilling, not drove it around for a couple of hours.

Reply to
malc

Maybe - all depends how much it heated up - and how long it spent in the red.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Key issue here. An hour or two of running, or an hour or two after shut down and re-filling?

Okay.

Potentially, yes...

I guess the key question, regardless of if its a Mondeo or not, is what else can the repair money get?

Lots. :-p

Reply to
DervMan

If he likes it that much, you can pick up 1.8 engines less ancillaries for silly cheap. Probably much less hassle and a greater chance of reviving the car, TBH.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Another key question - when he refilled the coolant, did he fill with cold water or from a boiled kettle? Refilling a hot engine with cold water is not the best idea.

Reply to
Tom Robinson