K&N 57i? comments?

I was thinking of getting one of those K&N 57i filter kits for my '92 DOHC

2.0i Ford Sierra. Are they any good? anyone else fitted one? Is there much/any improvement or is it just hype like most of the bolt-on type accessories?
Reply to
Marty

"Marty" mumbled:

It'll make it /sound/ more powerful 'cos of the induction roar. If that's the sort of thing you like then you'll like that sort of thing.

Reply to
Guy King

You will get more power from neon washer jets IME/IMO. Best to keep stock air and get a replacement element and you get some extra noise and it will save you some pennies in the long run. Will

Reply to
Will

Hi Marty,

I fitted one and they don't do anything for performance - or not that you would expect after reading the adverts! It's all hype unfortunately, like big wide exhausts. The only thing it did for me was make the car noisier, and combined with a Peco 2 it give me a headache. It sounded like the backbox had gone and the car had a star wars character under the bonnet. You're better saving your money and putting it towards another car.

Boy racers just love them, like capacitors really, if they "think" it does something - the companies are laughing all the way to the bank.

Reply to
jtx57

Hello,

Is that why people fit gigantic pieces of pipe from the front of the car and put them right up to the filter. It doesn't do a thing when the car is in standing traffic - it just sucks in lovely hot air from around the engine. If you must get one, buy the replacement element to save buying a paper filter each year - it will not do a thing for performance. It's almost like the 55w headlights that "produce 110w" - load of crap!

Reply to
jtx57