KA clutch drag

When we put our KA into reverse, the clutch seems not to disengage fully. It crunches unpleasantly and if done with handbrake off on a level surface the car moves back a few inches. But it doesn't continue to creep.

The clutch feels correct otherwise:

- it has the right feel as the diaphram goes over-centre

- when driving, the take up point does not occur until the clutch is raised above the end stop

- it is drag not inertia - selecting a forward gear before reverse does not stop the crunch

- starting the engine with a gear engaged does not seem to reduce cranking speed

According to the Haynes manual the travel is correct.

Any suggestions for what's wrong? Is there a simple fix?

Reply to
DavidR

if the plate is tight on the splines or the plate is breaking up it gives that effect, removal inspection and rebuild is the cure.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Ah, I think I see. So the pressure plate is moving correctly but the friction plate gets stuck on one of its surfaces. Once in gear it then unsticks? But then, surely putting it in a forward gear before reverse should unstick it?

Reply to
DavidR

it isn't really 'stuck' against the flywheel, it is just not clearing it enough, just dragging, that spins up the gearbox input shaft and gives you the crunch when you engage reverse. Before you take anything to bits it would be worth a bleed of the clutch, just in case there is a drop of air in there which would reduce the total clutch lift a fraction. the other thing that can do it (which is not common nowadays) is if the gearbox is loose in relation to the engine, only likely if the engine or box has ever been out. also used to occur when cars had a worn out spigot bearing (common on sierra), but I am (99 per cent) sure ka does not have one

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Thanks. After your suggestion, I have today just bled it but with no obvious improvement. The car is mostly used for short journeys but after a warm up it goes in ok.

The drag is obviously fairly light so I wondering whether a more viscous gearbox oil might help counteract it.

Reply to
DavidR

you could change the oil for fresh of the right grade, I would be wary of going for something outside spec. just in case. also check that the idle speed is correct as a high idle will exacerbate the fault. it seems from a quick google that quite a few people have a similar fault !!

Reply to
Mrcheerful

IME, Ford gearboxes always seem to graunch into reverse.

Reply to
Scott M
[...]

Your experience has clearly not included Fords with the MTX-75 box...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Why, does it graunch into 1/2/3 too? ;-)

Looking it up I have driven one (Mondeo.) When you're used to cars not crunching into reverse it's hard to notice when a car behaves normally! :-)

Reply to
Scott M