clutch damper

since i got my disco 3 weeks ago i have noticed that sometimes reverse is difficult to engage also sometimes 1st and 2nd gear. it had a recon box fitted 20k ago so i put it down to its just how they are. however i have just come across a site that says it is a common problem with disco's and it normally is the damper. does this sound like it could be the problem.

paul.

Reply to
Paul

It could be, but they usually show that they aee unhappy by leaking. You could prove it one way or another by by-passing it (the clutch works ok without it - just a bit harsh).

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

had a quick look underneath, there is no sign of leaking. one thing i did think of whilst looking at the clutch cylinder is to try bleeding it as a long shot.

Reply to
Paul

I took the damper off mine. IMO it made no difference to the clutch action or pedal feel, just something else to leak (which it was).

Unknown age of g-box on my 128000 mile 300tdi Disco. Reverse feels like it goes in, but doesn't always on 1st attempt. Other gears are all a bit of a lottery as to position in the gate. Gate? More like an overgrown gap in the hedge than a gate actually.

Reply to
Colonel Tupperware

Mine is exactly the same when selecting reverse, it feels like it goes in but it does not. the clutch seems to snatch in 1st and 2nd so its difficult to get a smooth change from a standing start.

Reply to
Paul

Had a similar problem with my lt77, 2nd & 3rd were a bit of a lottery & reverse was clunky, so today replaced the plate in the gear selector mechanism (£3.85) & all done in car....all change sweetly now.

Chris 1990 200Tdi Disco

Reply to
Merlin©

and the 200 didn't have a damper fitted either!

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB