Kalos

Just bought a Kalos as a second car. Pleased with it (yes) but wish the gear lever was a bit further forward.

Does anyone know if it is possible to adjust the linkage to throw the lever knob a bit further forward?

Reply to
John

It's still a Daewoo underneath. You're insane.

Reply to
David R

If only everything in life was as reliable as a Volkswagen. Well at least it'll win on that front :-)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

People have different perceptions of what is required of a car. For some, image is something worth paying for.

I chose the Kalos as it is adequate for the criteria that I need and was affordable.

For a given sum of money, it was newer than many other cars on our short list (incl Lupo)

It gets used about 4 times a week for mainly short runs. It should last us for about 6 years and then I will happily scrap it.

Fit for purpose.

It is badged as a Daewoo so I don't understand your point. General Motors played a part in much of the tooling and development. Daewoo is a world player in manufacturing. Manufacturers share the same supply chains for many materials and components - as well as design work. If you are happy to pay a surcharge to have a particular badge then that suits you.

My other car is a Honda by the way. I also once worked for a VW Dealership and once owned a VW.

I have now become a bit more objective about cars and value for money.

Reply to
John

These brands earn their dodgy reputations for a reason though. They're not hugely cheaper than other similar vehicles in that class, and although I agree the designers have done a lot better in the cars' restyling, there's still questions to be asked about some of the mechanical designs.

What are the main 3 problems you should look out for when buying a Kalos, excluding the normal engine-wear and mechanical/electrical issues you would check on every car? General Motors may have some odds and ends amalgamated

I am sure you'll find your Honda a much better car overall than the Kalos. As a footnote, no offence intended about this, just because you worked for a dealership doesn't really mean you know anything more secrets than the rest of us. Ask a mechanics engineer if they'd buy a Kalos ;)

Hope it all goes well; I like this comment specifically:

"Hi, I wrote the comment dated 29th January. I would like to make amendments. Only two months after writing that comment, my mother was driving her Kalos on a straight open road at 100km an hour in 5th gear when the engine mounts decided to break causing the engine to fall out onto the road. Of course this ended in some severe body damage, and Holden throwing their hands in the air trying to get out of the warranty work. After being towed, Holden LOST the car for two days and couldn't tell us where the car was, and myself threatening them with legal action, they finally decided to pay for all the work to be done on her car. The car had just clicked over

50,000km. I made enquiries into the reliability of these cars with an ex-Daewoo mechanic who told me one in two of these Kalos's have the same problem where the engine falls out. So in the car's defense, it is a good car (and it drives perfectly now, better than when new) just be careful your engine doesn't fall out."
Reply to
David R

Perhaps I can't really get excited about many cars (Porsche or Aston Martin excepted).

I will check the engine mounts - but I am a sad git who looks under the bonnets every week and think back to tappet and point adjustments and now wonder how I found the time. Topping up the screen washers isn't as satisfying as checking the dwell angle or gapping the plugs (especially on a flat 4 Beetle)

Reply to
John