Leaking LHM fluid from BX 19RD estate

My G reg BX 19RD has given little trouble since I acquired it 10 years ago, though I did have the hydraulic pipes changed a few years ago, along with the 5 bottles. It has sat unused for most of the past 10 months and when I started it up recently I noticed a leak in the hydraulic system, dripping from the region of front sub-frame on the driver's side, behind the steering gear. However, it is difficult to see exactly where the leak is coming from. I raised the car to the high position, turned the engine off and moved the lever to normal height whereupon a large quantity of LHM fluid gushed out from the same general location. I took it to a garage and was told that it would take 'several hours' to locate the source of the leak and suggested scrapping the car as repair would be uneconomic. I would prefer to keep the car on the road as in other respects it is in good condition and I need it to transport our rowing boat to the river on its custom roof-rack. Does anyone recognise this problem, and can anyone suggest how to fix it?

Reply to
harvey

snipped-for-privacy@sumatra.plus.com ( snipped-for-privacy@sumatra.plus.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It's a low pressure return. Probably from the octopus joint. I'm no BX expert, but it's a common and not difficult job.

Take it to somewhere with clue.

Reply to
Adrian

Thank you Adrian for your reply. I will take a look in daylight with the car jacked up. Seems pretty inaccessible by torchlight. I looked in a Haynes book but the pictures did not quite tally with my car. Rgds Harvey

Reply to
harvey

Surprise surprise.... :o)

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

Just last month I was in a state of grace, thinking that they always did.

Now, I know that to replace the heater blower control in a 1998 nissan micra, you need to take the entire fascia off, including all the hundreds of little wires, meaning a 3 day job rather than 2 hour.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

snipped-for-privacy@sumatra.plus.com ( snipped-for-privacy@sumatra.plus.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It's not called the Haynes Book of Lies (HBoL) for nothing...

Reply to
Adrian

I prefer being economical with the truth as a closer description. :o)

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard