Lubing a MKII Escort heater fan in situ?

Hi All,

As we were warned about the snow I thought I'd fire up the 1300 MKII Escort based kitcar today (Rickman Ranger .. I know it's a shed but we built it 15 years ago and it's still running .. and it's great in the snow for a 2WD car!) and reminded myself I need to fit new bearings to the heater fan. ;-(

In the mean time I wondered if one could maybe apply (spray) some lube onto the bearings just to keep it running till I do the 'upgrade' (2L Pinto out of my ex Sierra ..). I can get all round the lower half of the heater so where should I aim to get near the bearings please (and with what .. WD40 isn't a brilliant 'lube' is it)?

All the best .. T i m

Reply to
T i m

it's really difficult to get anything into heater bearings as they are generally sealed pretty well. If you can get in to the end shaft I'd recommend using used engine oil instead of wd40. I've used that on my kit car heater and after a month or so of running the squeak and stick has gone. I did take the fan assy out and and put it end on though so that the oil could tricle down the side of the shaft. I used no more than a teaspoon full.

If you can't get it out perhaps some light oil soaked rags placed just before the fan would allow the oil fumes to lubricate things (we used to put oily rags inside old fashioned clocks to keep them going!) it may work you never know!

HTH

-- Matthew

Reply to
Matt Horn

Indeed .. I think these are 'oil lite' (sp?) and may absorb *some* oil but really need replacing (a job I intend to do later).

If you can get in to the end shaft I'd

That's what I was hoping to be able to do .. but it's not the weather for crawling about trying to see where / if I could get some lube near the bearings .. ;-(

Well that's something I was not looking forward to .. not as bad as some vehicles I know but still not something I fancy doing in the rsoad and in this weather!

Not heard that before but it sounds like worth a try .. I wonder if I could use 'essential oils' .. a free running heater fan AND a nice smelling car ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. The fan 'spins' but because the bearing / shaft is worn it sort of oscilates and can't get up to speed .. it used to after a few seconds but not any more .. ;-(

Reply to
T i m

The message from "Matt Horn" contains these words:

Shit - I read that as "Some lighted oil soaked rags" and wondered if you were from the Pedestrians Society.

Reply to
Guy King

Glad to know it's not just me suffering from that as well!

Reply to
Chris Street