Sick air con improving

Last year my air con wasn't working very well so I called out a mobile regasser. After that it barely worked at all and the regassers went out of business or something before I could get them to have another go, and I've just never got round to getting it fixed.

A few days ago I noticed that it did seem to be working a little bit after all, and if anything it's getting better. It now produces quite a nice cool breeze with the fan on full, but not enough to have the windows shut in the heat of the day.

What could cause that? Maybe some sort of valve got stuck shut and it's gradually opening?

One other thing, a few weeks ago my dad got one of those £17 kits from Halfords, and tried it on both our cars. It didn't work on either, but when he tried a quick poke of the inlet valves to see if there was any pressure inside the systems, he said mine seemed to have a lot more pressure in than his (which apparently has a leak). Is it possible that it might have been overcharged and the compressor keeps shutting off early to prevent excessive pressure, and that little release has helped reduce the problem?

Reply to
Tony Houghton

overfull will not work, there is nowhere for the gas to expand and cool, so maybe the regasser didn't know his stuff and overfilled it

Reply to
mrcheerful

Maybe also you are expecting way too much out of your aircon? The air from it is supposed to be chilled but in the current climate with sun blasting through all windows it's never going to feel like you are sitting in a fridge! My drive to work takes about 20 minutes and it takes probably half that for the ambient temperature to drop below what it is outside.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

That sounds as if your's is not working too well either. I think mine could be better, but it does start blowing cold air within about a minute.

5 mins and the interior is comfortably cool. Especially if I put it on recirc. Mike.
Reply to
Mike G

Yours is knackered then.

Reply to
DervMan

What others have said. Mine cools the car nicely within about 5 minutes on a blazing hot day. That's on a 1998 Pug 406 so it's not exactly a new system either.

Reply to
Malc

even with the high temperatures we have been having lately. Actually if I put mine on full blast it is like sitting in a fridge!

Reply to
Mike

Honda would also have sold a lot of the Civics it's based on in Japan, and probably Australia too. But my point was that you'd expect the European model to have a higher capacity than the UK one if that was the reason, but it's the other way round.

Reply to
Tony Houghton

I think you mean less effective.

Mine actually feels pokier with the aircon on! Having the aircon on makes it use a less frugal fuel mapping at low revs and it overcompensates, while it's still got plenty of torque to spare when it gets into its stride.

Reply to
Tony Houghton

You're right. My post was badly worded. What I was trying to say, was that power consumption is normally relative to the output of an a/c system, so a system with a smaller output, or cooling capacity, should have less effect on performance. Ideally, regardless of the output, either system should be as efficient as possible. If only to save fuel. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Speak for yourself Dave - mine chills the car right down in a couple of minutes (indeed it often gets *too* cold).

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

And to help it move! :)

Reply to
DervMan

If its really too cold mix turn the heat up a notch or 2

Have the windows open for a couple of minutes to get rid of the really hot air and then if its blazing outside switch to re-circ and ofcourse get iut serviced every couple of years

Last bit of advice for those who "never" use the air con and then when they switch it on it does.t work - it really should be used for 10mins every month to lubricate the system and to stop the seals drying out (If you are really consciencous have it on for full heat for 10 mins afterwards)

Reply to
Tommy

Just leave it running all year round.

Reply to
SteveH

Well you could do this, which is a bit lazy really... besides in some weather conditions it's nice to have ordinary fresh air rather than chilled and dehumidified.

Reply to
DervMan

Of course, or indeed turn the fan down (the solar gain in my Coupe is quite significant hence limiting the input flow of cold air soon balances things out).

I was just illustrating that the aircon doesn't just work sufficiently to get it comfortably cool even in this weather but also significantly beyond that hence plenty of spare capacity within it.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Why? What is the point? If the system works to your satisfaction, a 'service' is not going to improve it, as there is nothing that can be 'serviced'. Apart from checking that the drive belt is OK, which you can check yourself, there are no parts of an a/c system that can be serviced as such. The only things that can go wrong with an a/c system itself, is that it develops a leak. Either because of a compressor seal failure, or a leaky pipe or union. Or a mechanical failure of the compressor or clutch. None of which can be prevented by servicing. IMO paying to have a working a/c system serviced is just a waste of money. You might just as well leave it alone, until it loses efficiency, or packs up altogether, and then get it fixed. They are all designed to fail safe. IOW if the pressure gets too low the compressor stops working which protects the seals and bearings from wear through lack of lubrication. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Sat in traffic with the outside temp reading 39 last week, air con on and had goose bumps and shivers within 5 minutes - maybe you expect too little? :-)

Id suspect the OPs was overfilled and a slight leak has brought it down to normal content level.

Coyoteboy

So are you saying that if it was overfilled I'd get the symptoms of it trying to come on but turning itself off again because of an overpressure sensor, before it has a chance to get cold? I can hear the compressor clutch clicking on and off every so often, but I haven't taken note of how often and wouldn't know what was normal anyway.

Maybe I've got nothing to lose by giving the valve a little poke again to let a little more gas out? For environmentalists: it would probably leak out eventually anyway, so no net harm to the atmosphere.

Reply to
Tony Houghton

If the world was perfect that would be true, but given that all AC systems leak a bit in both directions vacuuming it down to get the water out & put new oil in every three years seems to make them last longer. Snag is it'll be a decade before I can give you an statistically significant answer to that

Reply to
Duncan Wood