Micra battery at... 1 volt!

My micra battery suddenly went flat. Drove in home last night: this morning the battery was so flat not even a glow from the Ign light.

I measured the battery voltage and it came out at 1.1 volts! I have seen a few flat batteries before but never as low as that. I thought the battery itself must have some kind of internal fault. But just in case, I charged it for a couple of hours and it's now at 13 Volts.

While I was at it I thought I check the current from it with everything switched off. Surprise surprise, something is taking about

1/2 an amp.

Tried to trace what, and so far I tried disconnecting the alternator plug - but still 1/2 amp reading. Is that check enough to say the alternator is not taking that current? The leads I disconnected look like low-current cables - do I need to disconnect *all* cables to the alternator?

Tomorrow I'll go through all the fuses one by one.

Just like to ask though has anyone ever seen a 12V lead acid battery at 1.1 Volts? (Plus if you have any ideas when this 1/2 amp is going I'd appreciated it). thanks

ps the battery is just over 2 years old.

Reply to
dave

Yes you need to disconnect all cables.

Reply to
Conor

that equals a 5 watt load. glove box light? boot light?

Reply to
Mrcheerful

The battery is shagged. probably O/C

Reply to
George

That's what I thought - but no. Just put a 10A lamp load on it and it shining away fine!

Re the 5 watt load - yes - but no int lamp or boot lamp on - not the radio either. (sigh) here we go.

Reply to
dave

1/2 amp isn't enough to discharge a battery overnight.

The usual alternator fault that causes it to draw current is a failed rectifier diode - and that is part of the alternator output so you need to disconnect the heavy cable(s). But you usually get a current draw of about

5 amps with this fault.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You've possibly got two faults, 0.5A will take an undercharged battery that low. What's the chrging voltage with the engine running?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Intermittent O/C then. It's shagged whatever way you look at it.

Reply to
George

Assuming a 38AH battery a .5A load would take 76 hours to run it down.

Reply to
George

It is, however, quite enough to sulphate it and make it look as if it's discharged. Been there, done that, night before last. Left the V70 passenger door ajar overnight, interior light stayed on. Ten hours later, not a hint of a start. Everything dead. No dashboard lights. Nothing.

Two hours on a 3 amp charger and we were hot to trot and good to go. Quick charge knocks the coating off the plates, revealing the nice fizzy electrolyte.

OP, your experience is entirely typical of a small drain on a car battery. Find what's staying on (probably an interior, glove box or boot light), fix it and you should have no more problems. The battery won't have suffered at all.

Ian

Reply to
The Real Doctor

In message , The Real Doctor writes

With the caveat that car battery life is shortened by allowing it to remain in a low state of charge for too long. They last longer if kept fully charged.

Reply to
Gordon H

Eh?

You're implying a gentle longish discharge does something to a fully charged battery?

So what is the magic figure? Most modern cars have a quiescent load - immobiliser, clock, radio etc. Usually of the order of about 20 mA. And extra 500mA shouldn't hurt an otherwise ok battery overnight. Sulphation occurs when you deeply discharge a battery. And 3 amps for a couple of hours ain't going to sort that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Only if it's fully charged.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

That's usually the case with most modern cars, used normally.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Err yes, but if it's a consistent fault you'll never notice it until your usage pattern has left the battery part charged.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

In message , George writes

Temperature dependant and also assuming a full charge.

Reply to
Clint Sharp
[...]

At risk of appearing a pedant, that's not strictly true; for vehicle applications the discharge current/time ratio is only accurate at the 10A discharge rate.

Agree entirely that a 0.5A load for 10 or 12 hours *shouldn't* leave a healthy battery unable to start the car, but for reasons I can't explain, it often seems to.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

The capacity would be slightly greater at the lower discharge rate.

It's an interesting point. My brother and a neighbour both have BMW 3 Series Tourers of about the same age - roughly '02. And both refuse to engage the starter with a slightly low battery - ie nothing near flat. Perhaps they sense the voltage before allowing that relay to engage. In both cases a very short charge with a small charger restored things to normal. Until the next time. A new battery sorted things in both cases - but my brother put the old one into another car where it seems to work just fine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Would he have been happy crossing a desert and relying on it?

Reply to
George

Why would you try a cross a desert in a 3 series tourer?

Reply to
Duncan Wood