84 scirocco will rotate but not turn over

My 84 scirroco stalled at an intersection yesterday. I tried to start it and it did start but immidiatly stalled. I tried this several times before I pushed it off the road to a parking spot and left it. I went back to it today and tried to start it but it only rotates but will not go. I checked the fuel, fuel pump fuse, fuel pump relay, and battery connection. All seem good. Any suggestions. Peter

Oh... I have noticed the quiet whirring noise that comes from the engine wene you turn the key to the on position is no longer there.

Reply to
peter rittscher

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

Pete - It sounds as if your rear fuel pumps aren't priming the system (that whir when you turn the key onto it's first click) This could be electrical (fuses, wiring) but it's common for these pumps to just go. In Golfs (Rabbits I think for you)1984 til 1992 there are two pumps - a header pump and a main pump located at the bottom of your fuel tank. What happens is the header pump fails (cheap and easy replacement) and then the main bottom pump goes to town trying to cope for the demand on its own. It then fails with the increased workload! I believe it's the same system for the Scirroco too. Main pump is expensive here in the UK (£100 - $160???) and a messy job to fit. Header pump is cheap (£20 - $36?????) and a petrol free, hassle free job!!

Hope this helps

Reply to
Michael McL

Check every one of the connectors for the engine and fuel injection wiring harness. My car quit and I had to get it brought home on a flatbed. I had similar symptoms: the engine had fuel and spark, and would turn over but not start. I found some green gunk growing in the connector on the fuel distributor, cleaned it up, and the car came back to life.

Regards, Mark Petrush.

Reply to
Mark Petrush