MISSING NUTS

I would not do the nuts up "extra tight" just normal, And in my opion it should be ok to drive with 3 from 4 nuts, I would take it easy round the bends.

"~tHe~~MiXeR~" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:blpuno$9d0$ snipped-for-privacy@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...

Reply to
Lobby

Hi, I have had a problem with my lockable wheel nuts, and while undoing the last of the lockable whell nuts, i rounded the "key nut" rendering the lockable nuts useless. I need to travel 60 miles tomorrow, would it be safe doing this with 3 nuts per side, as there is no way I can find anynuts anywhere at this time of night.

I wondered if I did the wheels up extra tight on the remaining 3 nuts, that should be o.k. ? Cheers

Reply to
~tHe~~MiXeR~

undoing the

anynuts

You 'should' have four plain wheel nuts somewhere, possibly your tool kit.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Especially if you'd bought the car already fitted with the locking wheel nuts, of course...

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

I read the subject title and thought you had a very serious personal problem - glad to know its only an automobile problem and noy anything too serious :-)

Reply to
Scooby Doo

Your local scrap yard will let you have extra nuts for coppers. Until you get round to them, take it easy and if a noisy wobble starts, pull over and take a look at the nuts. The noisy wobble means something is working dangerously loose.

DP

Whatever you do, do not do them up extra tight. Wheel nuts should always be set to a specific torque as well.

A wheel brace is fine in an emergency only.

Too loose and they will come off and too tight you will damage the thread/stud and could end up damaging something and loosing a wheel.

Reply to
Alan