'Modified'

M-Sport S-Line R-Line Type-S Type-R GTI GTD ST-Line ST RS Cupra RenaultSport vRS Quadrifoglio VXR

All the above are current badges, prominently displayed on cars to denote their sporty credentials.

With many manufacturers, you get a standard spec. (eg. SE) or a sporty spec (eg. S-Line) plus a proper sporty model (eg. GTI). Even BMW are ditching the Luxury-line cars. (My 520d Lux is debadged, so I don't get any model, trim or engine designation anywhere on it - the standard was

520d on the arse and Luxury on the front wings, I believe)
Reply to
Steve H

[...]

And bmw messes up the engine size designation. I understand that a 330 is actually a 2.0L turbucharged? And same engine is fitted to Mini Cooper S, and even to a bmw730.

Reply to
johannes

BMW are apparently putting "M" badges on wing of 1 series with small bore single hole tailpipes (no other badges or model indication - 2L diesel?). M is no longer a BMW performance designation.

Reply to
Peter Hill

BMW has never had a concrete corelation between designation and engine capactiy. Much of the time they do line up but you can go all the way back to the 70s to find exceptions:

70s 745i - turbo'd 3.5.

80s 525e - 2.7 tuned for economy.

90s 320/520 petrols started as a 2.0 6pot but was later bored out to 2.2l

00s 335/535 both petrol and Diesel were twin turbo versions of the cars sold as 330/530.

Reply to
Scott M

Sadly they've been doing that for the thick end of 15 years.

Reply to
Scott M

And the Rolls-Royce Wraith is build over a BMW 7 series platform. So in two small steps we can go from a Mini to Rolls Royce.

Mini Cooper S -> 2.0 Turbo -> BMW730 -> platform -> Rolls Royce

Small world!

Reply to
johannes