Mondeo 1.8 pinking

1999 1.8e Zetec. Sounds like pinking when under load. Looses torque on very steep hills (Crystal Palace area). Have to back off accellerator before it picks up again. Flooring it makes it loose most of power. Can't do more than 25 up a steep hill holding accellerator between max rev point and point it starts to falter. Fine on flat and happy at 70 on A3 today. Travelling 100 miles to Suffolk tonight and sure it will make it but wondering what's causing this.

Rockingrabbit

Reply to
Rockingrabbit

Broken cat?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Change the leads for genuine Ford ones.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Spark plug leads. Not guaranteed, but fairly safe bet.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Made it the 100 miles back to Suffolk ok but not nice. 70 flat out down hill and 50-60 on hills. Held it just below the point of pinking. Going any more just means power falls away slowly. If you boot it, power just disappears.

Rockingrabbit

Reply to
Rockingrabbit

You. Try servicing it.

Reply to
Conor

So when was this bag of s**te last serviced?

Reply to
Conor

Sept 2008. Not very helpful Conor

Reply to
Rockingrabbit

In message , Conor writes

I have mine Main Dealer serviced regularly, but I still get a flat spot around 112mph.

Reply to
Gordon H

I agree he's not.

Mine developed this twice in it's life - the first time was a deteriorating coil pack and the second was a broken and disintegrating cat. The coil pack was exactly as you describe it.

Reply to
Chris Street

Just a note to the OP. If the coil is knackered and you continue to drive the car like that, the unburnt fuel will knacker the cat anyway.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Ditto if it's the plugs or the leads.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Gordon H wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g3snx.demon.co.uk:

Mine does that too. Open the plug gap and polish the windscreen. :)

Reply to
Tunku

Thanks folks. It did the 100 miles back to Suffolk and that is it. No more driving until its fixed. I drove it very slowly in lane one and below the point when it pinked so hopefully not too much damage. I have not got time to fiddle so its going into a small reliable local garage this week. If they replace the coil pack/plugs/leads and then insist on replacing the cat I won't argue thanks to your advise. Hopefully the cat would have survived 100 miles of gentle motorway driving, but I have little experience of this as previous car was a Sierra and a cat, pas and other modern things are new to me.

Rockingrabbit

Reply to
Rockingrabbit

In message , Tunku writes

I had a look under the bonnet thingy and the plugs are well separated already. :)

Reply to
Gordon H

Odds are it's fine at the moment. Not that plugs, leads & packs are any cheaper :-(

Reply to
Duncan Wood

And why do the coil packs deteriorate???

Reply to
Conor

Just to wrap up this post. The problem was a disintegrating cat. Cat broke up and blocked silencer so that was replaced too.

Thanks to all for help and advise

Rockingrabbit

Reply to
Rockingrabbit

Pleasure.

As a matter of morbid interest if you dont mid what did the new cat cost? Mine was £300 fitted but that was a company car and they liked to chuck money at the garage that liked to fleece them.

Reply to
Chris Street

Glad I could help ;-)

Chris