mondeo bumper replacement

Cracked the front bumper on my '98 mondeo, got a replacement.

Having trouble with the fixing behind the headlamp/wheel arch liner. Haynes says theres two screws, except that theres two bolts and a pop-rivet! The bolts shouldnt be a problem but how do I deal with the rivet (it's in the first hole behind the light)?

Should I just rip the old bumper off, drill out the rivet and undo the bolts (might be easiest) then on replacing forget about the first fixing and stick with the two bolts. Or am I best undoing the bolts before removing the bumper, once it's off it's getting chucked anyway. It looks like the bumper might slip off the bottom of the rivet once the bolts are removed.

Was it originally fitted this way or has someone at an earlier replacement decided to stick a rivet in for easeiness?

Any other tips welcomed, thanks.

Reply to
Kay