Mondeo Clutch Change

Just put my '97 Mondeo in for it's 6-year (60K) service. I took it to a main dealer.

A few extra things need doing that I was expecting such as a couple of new tyres, new wipers and possibly the discs and pads.

I also mentioned that the clutch gets quite stiff after a long period of driving (say an hour or more on the motorway). I had a phonecall to say that the clutch needs replacing. I declined the offer of making an appointment for this to be done, since it's such an expensive job.

Thing is, does the clutch *really* need replacing? I would have thought that it would have just needed the hydraulics bleeding. The clutch doesn't slip. Gearshift is a bit notchy when cold, but that's about it. I would have thought that the clutch should last a bit longer than 60K miles. Any thoughts on this?

Ta,

Chris.

Reply to
Chris M

Hydraulics unlikely to cause the problem you suggest - however, I believe that on your car the slave cylinder is built into the g/box and if the seals fail it p*sses fluid over the clutch. That said, you want to be sure that this is unlikely as it will ruin a clutch.

As reported before in this group there are good reasons why diaphram cluthces get heavier and drag as they wear out. If you can deal with this then you dont need to replace it until it starts to cause real trouble. Many clutches feel well past there best at this mileage - thats not unusual, does it bother you that much ?

Steve

Reply to
sro

appointment

Nah, it doesn't bother me - For everyday driving, I don't even notice it.

I doubt I'll be replacing it for at least another six months to a year. And if I do, I'll probably not be taking it to a dealership!

Thanks for the feedback.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris M

TBH, I'd be disappointed if a Mondeo clutch needed re-doing at 60k miles, unless you'd _really_ been abusing it.

I've heard stories (could just be stories!) around here of them lasting

120k miles of round-town use, so there's a good chance that if the car's done longer runs, the clutch should last the life of the car, IMO.

FWIW, my Mondeo clutch can feel a little heavy after a long hard run, but it has done since the car was 13k miles old. It was driven for about 2 hours solid, at a continuous 70mph, and then again for another hour or so at the same speed, and the clutch got lighter, rather than heavier.

Still works perfectly though!

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

IMO if you can still change gear, then there is no reason to change a clutch. Only change them when necessary and save yourself a few pennies...

T.

Reply to
Trooper

Pah modern cars! My rough old Sierra only needed a clutch after 142k when the release bearing cried "Enough!" It only cost £200 at a Ford Dealership too! :-)

Shame the car got written off a couple thousand miles later... :-((

JH

Reply to
JH

The 1.6 estate I bought with FMDSH needed a new clutch at 70,000 miles. The interior positively stank of dog, and there were the remains of dog club stickers all over the rear windows, so I doubt it was driven by a boy racer. Of course, even a slow driver can wreck a clutch.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Elderly person.

My gran burned through a clutch in under 30k miles on her Yugo.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

I think that's good for a Yugo.

Reply to
Steve Knight

Given the way she drove it, I think it's remarkable!

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

My mum's Polo had a knackered clutch cable. When I drove the thing in the wet I found it absolutely undrivable - either wheelspinning or stalling at traffic lights. She'd somehow perfected getting the clutch to slip and was setting off with masses of revs all the time, seems she hadn't noticed the clutch cable...

Reply to
Doki

Hi

My last car was a 2.0 mondeo also a 97 model. I ran it for work and it was

90% motorway driving. The clutch lasted 89,000 miles. The thing is when it went it went! No build-up or warning. I was trying to change down coming to a stop and it wouldn't go into any gear.

The AA man came out and tried bleeding it etc but all to no avail and I had to be towed back from taunton to sheffield on a friday afternoon/evening....

7 bloody hours!

One new clutch and it was ok!

So just be carefull, if they all go just like that you don't want to be too far away from home!

Pete

Reply to
pete