mondeo indicator switch

1998 2.0 16v Mondeo Zetec.

Intermittent problem, bound to get worse. When I use the indicators sometimes they're fine for a few seconds and then stop. More noticeable when the steering wheel is turned. Doesn't happen all the time, just started yesterday.

I'm thinking a loose connection or broken wire in the housing behind the steering wheel, if I push the stalk a bit more when it happens they start working again. Occurs when signalling both directions.

Before I start dismantling everything does anyone have an idea what the problem could be (known fault?) or am I on the right track?

Reply to
Kay

Had a similar fault on an older car. Turned out to be a loose connection on the common feed wire to the indicator switch contacts. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

That's what I'm hoping it is! Will make a change from a simple fault that costs ££££'s to put right.

Reply to
Kay

If you can get at it, I'd first give the insides a squirt of some contact cleaner like Servisol or Electrolube which you'll get from the likes of Maplin. But it's also possible something has broken inside the switch itself. Some can be dismantled and repaired with a bit of ingenuity - but I don't know about the Mondeo one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

The message from "Kay" contains these words:

Yes, and it's usually the hazard light switch on top which is (or at least is on the other Fords I've had this on) part of the same switch. The indicator circuits are routed through the hazard switch. Next time it dies, try waggling the hazard knob first.

Reply to
Guy King